Bradshaw’s return can’t save UCS Old Boys from another defeat
- Credit: Archant
UCS’s search for their first points of the season continues after they slipped to the foot of the table following a 74-12 defeat at the hands of promotion challengers Old Priorians in London North-West Division Two.
The visitors had smashed London Nigerian 104-0 the previous weekend so UCS were fully aware of the power of their opposition – but they were punished for lax tackling in the opening five minutes as the visitors took an early 10-point lead.
Carl Bradshaw’s first appearance of the season offered some hope after he broke the Priorians’ line on a number of occasions, but the player-coach couldn’t prevent the visitors from running in three more tries.
The visitors’ efficient use of the ball prevented the Old Boys from getting a hold of the game, but Bradshaw eased the pressure with a try as his side pressed to narrow the gap before the break.
However, normal service was resumed after the restart in a near mirror image of the first half as the Old Priorians strolled over for another try following more weak tackling.
Things then went from bad to worse for the Old Boys when former skipper Dave O’Dwyer was sent to the sin-bin for a professional foul to prevent yet another score – and his efforts were in vain as the Priorians added to their tally just five minutes later.
As in the opening period, UCS found their feet following a shaky start, with the boot of Alex Lowe giving them good field position, and when they spread the ball wide, Bradshaw crashed over from two yards for his second score.
- 1 Ashling Murphy: Camden pays tribute to murdered primary school teacher
- 2 North London road and rail disruptions in the week ahead
- 3 The story of a pond returning to Hampstead Heath
- 4 Drug runner caught at Euston with heroin in underwear jailed for four years
- 5 How a stray Hampstead cat changed the life of artist Louis Wain
- 6 Hampstead retail site snapped up for £7m by property firm
- 7 Nine of London's best vegan restaurants to try this Veganuary
- 8 Guilty: Woman stirred up racial hatred with social media posts on Grenfell
- 9 Cirque du Soleil: Luzia Royal Albert Hall ****
- 10 How the battle for Hampstead Heath inspired the National Trust
A fightback was never forthcoming though, and the game ended much the way it had started, with Old Priorians running in a further four tries from deep within their own half to secure a comfortable victory.