Boxing: Dereck Chisora beaten by European heavyweight champion Agit Kabayel
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Finchley heavyweight Dereck Chisora missed out on regaining the European title after losing on points to current holder Agit Kabayel on Saturday.
The two met on a packed Matchroom bill at the Casino de Monte-Carlo, Monaco that was headlined by Jamie McDonnell’s WBA world bantamweight title defence against Liborio Solis, which ended in a technical draw.
After a high-quality bout, the judges scored the fight closely, with two awarding it by Kabayel by 115-113 and 115-114, and the other giving it a 114-114 draw.
Chisora had his opponent boxing on the back foot for most of the 12 round, but was getting caugh on the counter.
Kabayel, who was surprisingly light on his feet for a heavyweight, made Chisora work hard to close the distance between them to land his punches.
The defeat serves as a blow to the 33-year-old Finchley-based heavyweight, who had hoped to get back into world title contention had he beaten Kabayel.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 3 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 4 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 5 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 6 3,000 new council homes for Haringey over next ten years
- 7 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 8 Fundraising year begins at William IV pub in Hampstead
- 9 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 10 Roadworks and rail disruptions in north London over the next week