Boxing: Dereck Chisora beaten by European heavyweight champion Agit Kabayel
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Finchley heavyweight Dereck Chisora missed out on regaining the European title after losing on points to current holder Agit Kabayel on Saturday.
The two met on a packed Matchroom bill at the Casino de Monte-Carlo, Monaco that was headlined by Jamie McDonnell’s WBA world bantamweight title defence against Liborio Solis, which ended in a technical draw.
After a high-quality bout, the judges scored the fight closely, with two awarding it by Kabayel by 115-113 and 115-114, and the other giving it a 114-114 draw.
Chisora had his opponent boxing on the back foot for most of the 12 round, but was getting caugh on the counter.
You may also want to watch:
Kabayel, who was surprisingly light on his feet for a heavyweight, made Chisora work hard to close the distance between them to land his punches.
The defeat serves as a blow to the 33-year-old Finchley-based heavyweight, who had hoped to get back into world title contention had he beaten Kabayel.
- 1 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 2 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 3 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 4 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 5 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 6 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 7 For sale: Suggs' former 'bachelor pad' with gold-gilded underground bar
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 10 Free festival to take over the streets of Camden