Boxing: Dereck Chisora beaten by European heavyweight champion Agit Kabayel
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Finchley heavyweight Dereck Chisora missed out on regaining the European title after losing on points to current holder Agit Kabayel on Saturday.
The two met on a packed Matchroom bill at the Casino de Monte-Carlo, Monaco that was headlined by Jamie McDonnell’s WBA world bantamweight title defence against Liborio Solis, which ended in a technical draw.
After a high-quality bout, the judges scored the fight closely, with two awarding it by Kabayel by 115-113 and 115-114, and the other giving it a 114-114 draw.
Chisora had his opponent boxing on the back foot for most of the 12 round, but was getting caugh on the counter.
You may also want to watch:
Kabayel, who was surprisingly light on his feet for a heavyweight, made Chisora work hard to close the distance between them to land his punches.
The defeat serves as a blow to the 33-year-old Finchley-based heavyweight, who had hoped to get back into world title contention had he beaten Kabayel.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 5 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 6 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 7 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 8 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 9 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 10 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike