Boxing: Dereck Chisora beaten by European heavyweight champion Agit Kabayel
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Finchley heavyweight Dereck Chisora missed out on regaining the European title after losing on points to current holder Agit Kabayel on Saturday.
The two met on a packed Matchroom bill at the Casino de Monte-Carlo, Monaco that was headlined by Jamie McDonnell’s WBA world bantamweight title defence against Liborio Solis, which ended in a technical draw.
After a high-quality bout, the judges scored the fight closely, with two awarding it by Kabayel by 115-113 and 115-114, and the other giving it a 114-114 draw.
Chisora had his opponent boxing on the back foot for most of the 12 round, but was getting caugh on the counter.
You may also want to watch:
Kabayel, who was surprisingly light on his feet for a heavyweight, made Chisora work hard to close the distance between them to land his punches.
The defeat serves as a blow to the 33-year-old Finchley-based heavyweight, who had hoped to get back into world title contention had he beaten Kabayel.
- 1 Teenage girls banned from Camden after Hampstead robbery spree
- 2 'No one cares': Mother claims 'horrible' leaks and mould left ignored
- 3 Zookeeper's sponsored swim as London Zoo reopens indoor areas
- 4 Burger King launches its first 'dark kitchen' for north London deliveries
- 5 The Magdala returns as pubs and restaurants reopen indoors on May 17
- 6 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 7 Residents bid farewell to Highgate Station’s beloved black cat
- 8 Barnet councillor leaves Tory group over 'personal matter'
- 9 Arrests made after reports of antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 10 Bailed: Men arrested in connection with antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood