Bostik Premier: Wingate & Finchley announce plans for new campaign with former defender Marc Weatherstone back with the Blues
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Marc Weatherstone has returned to the club from Dulwich Hamlet and will aim to become their record appearance holder during the 2018/19 season
Marc Weatherstone has rejoined Wingate & Finchley ahead of the 2018/19 season after two years at division rivals Dulwich Hamlet.
The defender spent nine years at the Blues between 2007 and 2016 and made 434 appearances for the north London club before he bid farewell to the Maurice Rebak Stadium in June 2016.
After two years at Dulwich, the centre back has returned to his old club and Wingate chairman Aron Sharpe is delighted.
He spoke to the official club website about the transfer and said: “I’m delighted to recapture Marc.
You may also want to watch:
“Marc has proven ability and now a deserved play-off winner’s medal with Dulwich Hamlet.
“With Shane Gore, Claudio Vilcu and Sean Cronin all now committed to the club for next season, I don’t think you will find a stronger or more experienced defence at this level or above.”
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 4 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 5 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 6 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 7 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United
In addition to the signing of Weatherstone, the Blues have also brought in attacking midfielder Chace O’Neill from Tooting & Mitcham United.
One-time Tottenham Hotspur trainee O’Neill scored against the north Londoners last season, but will be part of Keith Rowland’s squad for the 2018/19 campaign.
Sharp added: “He will bring further flair to our midfield and will provide a different dimension and he has obvious calibre having completed a scholarship at Spurs.
“I am also pleased the majority of our squad have committed for next season; they are aware of the development and progress that is going on at the club hence why they have stayed.
“I have waited for our moment in time and shall look to push the club forwards over the coming years. The fans will be pleased to know that further signings are imminent and shall fit in with our policy of developing by youth coupled with wisdom.”
Wingate have also announced their pre-season plans with their first friendly taking place against Beaconsfield at Barnet’s Lane on July 7.
Kings Langley will visit the same venue on July 10 before Welwyn Garden City make the trip on July 14. The Blues will then travel to Barking on July 17 before another away clash at Biggleswade Town on July 21.
St Albans City will come to the Maurice Rebak Stadium on July 24 before away games at Hayes & Yeading United (July 28), Royston Town (July 31) and Chesham United (August 4) and Rowland’s team end pre-season at home to Enfield Borough on August 7.