Bostik Premier: Sean Cronin on the spot for Wingate & Finchley in final-day win at Harlow Town
- Credit: Archant
Bostik Premier: Harlow Town 0 Wingate & Finchley 1
Wingate & Finchley ended the 2017/18 season with a 1-0 win at Harlow Town thanks to Sean Cronin’s late penalty on Saturday afternoon.
The result ensured Keith Rowland’s team secured a ninth-place finish in the Bostik Premier and finished the campaign with a five-game unbeaten run.
Harlow created the first opportunity of the game and nearly took the lead when Robbie Martin curled an effort towards goal from inside the area and it beat Shane Gore, but hit the post and bounced away to safety in the 18th minute.
The Blues responded strongly though, as Reece Beckles-Richards saw an effort saved by David Hughes two minutes later.
You may also want to watch:
Wingate won two more corners in quick succession and from the third Cronin’s shot nearly found the net, but Hughes saved.
Rowland’s team ended the half on top, but couldn’t make the most of two promising openings before youngster Ned Clarke fired over in stoppage time.
- 1 First-time buyers fear ruin as 'dream' flats fail fire safety test
- 2 Petition to save oak and hornbeam trees in Coldfall Wood
- 3 Covid-19 surge testing in East Finchley after South African variant appears
- 4 Covid-19: Area around Royal Free one of few in UK to avoid deaths
- 5 Arteta concerned about Arsenal striker Nketiah
- 6 Free Nazanin: Pressure on government rises as end of sentence approaches
- 7 Leila Roy tributes: 'We will miss her energy and her big heart'
- 8 'Paul the Paper' shuts up shop in Crouch End for the final time
- 9 Highgate's Victorian 'pineapple' railings repaired and restored.
- 10 Woodland is being damage - time to show some respect
The missed opportunity ensured it remained goalless at the break heading into the last 45 minutes of the season.
Harlow created the first opening of the second period when Alex Read rounded Gore in the 55th minute, but he could only find the side-netting.
While the Hawks continued to enjoy the better of the second 45, after being second best during the first half, they were struggling to break down Wingate.
Martin went close again eight minutes from time with a good centre into the area, but the score stayed goalless.
It looked like it would end 0-0 too until Afolabi Obafemi was brought down by Ibrahima Sonko in the 88th minute and a penalty was awarded to the away side.
Cronin stepped up and sent David Hughes the wrong way to put Wingate in front and it proved enough to see them finish the season with a 1-0 victory.
Rowland’s team end the campaign in ninth with 69 points and can reflect on another satisfactory term at step three of the non-leagye pyramid.
Wingate & Finchley: Gore; Ifil, Eales, Cronin, Eadie; Alfano (Tejan-Sie 75), Ebelebe (Moncur 85); Obafemi, Beckles-Richards, Clarke (Pattie 76); Laney.
Unused substitutes: Humphrey, Rabstein.