Bostik Premier: Leiston 4 Wingate & Finchley 0
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Wingate & Finchley’s aim for a win at Victory Road failed to come to fruition following defeat at the hands of Leiston, in a brutally cold Bostik League clash.
Irnti Rapai struck wide from 20 yards which beat Marcus Garnham, but narrowly missed the left post after three minutes in a bright start by the north Londoners.
With the wind picking up, Sean Cronin’s goal-line block ensured it stayed scoreless, prior to Chris Henderson pulling his shot wide on 13 minutes.
The hosts did take the lead in the 18th minute when Christy Finch broke free on the inside left and, although Shane Gore kept out his strike, Darren Mills tucked in the rebound.
In the 32nd minute, Rapai’s dangerous counter fell short on the edge of the box, only for Reece Beckles-Richards to latch on and fire over the crossbar in the last meaningful action of the half.
You may also want to watch:
Three minutes following the break, the home side doubled their advantage.
Gore rushed out but with Jake Reed’s momentum winning the ball, Finch collected his cross and slotted into an empty net.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 4 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 5 Vivianne Miedema voted Women's Super League's greatest ever player
- 6 Highgate's Food Bank Aid's year of giving - and a search for a bigger home
- 7 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 8 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 9 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 10 Arts centre? Rock'n'roll museum? What future for Hampstead Police Station?
On 55 minutes the Suffolk side made it 3-0 when Finch was brought down inside the box, giving Jack Ainsley an opportunity to duly place his penalty away from Gore.
Tommy Tejan-Sie, from a central position, struck inches past the right post from 18 yards on 73 minutes, while at the other end, Gore made a firm stop from Reed’s attempt seven minutes later.
As the match entered its final minute Finch bombarded down the left before crossing low and hard for Reed to guide inside the near post for four.
Wingate: Gore, Ifil (Laney 62), Eadie, Joseph, Cronin, Humphrey (Eales 62), Rapai, Moncur, Charles-Smith (Obafemi 72), Beckles-Richards, Tejan-Sie. Unused subs: Alfano, Pattie.