Bostik North: Free-scoring Haringey Borough host Witham Town looking for seventh straight win in Bostik North
- Credit: Ray Lawrence/TGS Photo
Tom Loizou’s team have hit form at the perfect time and now have a faint chance of winning automatic promotion this season
Haringey Borough can enjoy the final two games of the regular Bostik North season now they have secured their play-offs place.
A 3-1 win at Aveley on Monday saw Tom Loizou’s men confirm their spot in the top six and focus may now turn to another goal.
Borough are level on points with third-placed Bowers & Pitsea, who have two games in hand on Haringey, and only a single point off Potters Bar Town, who occupy second having played 44 times this season.
Although unlikely, Loizou will know if his team can win their final two fixtures it could give them an outside chance of finishing second, which would secure automatic promotion.
Next up for the Coles Park outfit is a home clash with Witham Town on Saturday where they will aim to pick up their 26th league success of the term.
Last weekend Haringey left it late before securing all three points at Dereham Town after a long trip.
- 1 A Level results 2022 live: Camden, Barnet and Haringey schools as they come in
- 2 'Fragile' Highgate Hill raised road to be repaired
- 3 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 4 Five-bedroom house with garden and roof terrace in Kentish Town
- 5 Film reviews: Mr Malcolm's List, Her Way, Official Competition
- 6 Plumber found guilty of road rage murder of Deliveroo driver
- 7 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 8 Graham Chapman's Highgate haunt gets a refurb
- 9 'Incredibly kind and caring': Tribute to wife who died with brain tumour
- 10 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
The fixture at Aldiss Park appeared to be heading for a goalless draw, but the in-form Chinedu McKenzie broke the deadlock in the 89th minute and teenager Jordan Edwards made it 2-0 deep into stoppage time.
After such an excellent win, spirits were high heading into Monday’s contest at Aveley and another impressive result was achieved.
McKenzie grabbed his third goal for the club in the 25th minute at Parkside to again open the scoring and Lauren Luke made it 2-0 with 33 on the clock.
Aveley reduced the deficit in the 62nd minute through Chris Bourne, but Haringey won a penalty soon after, which was converted by Ralston Gabriel to seal all three points.
Borough’s sixth straight success in the division sees them well placed to end a memorable campaign with more success.
Forward Gabriel said: “It was a great result against Aveley and I am buzzing to get my 30th goal of the season.
“The boys showed great character and the fans once again were amazing.”
Borough will now seek a seventh consecutive win when Witham visit on Saturday and they will also keep an eye on how Bowers fare tonight (Thursday) at home to Heybridge Swifts.