Boggo: I can shock seeds
ALEX Bogdanovic heads into Wimbledon next week believing he can worry some of the world's top grass court players. The Globe left-hander saw his ranking reach a career high of 110 after reaching the third round of the The Artois Champion
By Patrick Mooney
ALEX Bogdanovic heads into Wimbledon next week believing he can worry some of the world's top grass court players.
The Globe left-hander saw his ranking reach a career high of 110 after reaching the third round of the The Artois Championships at Queen's for the first time last week.
After beating the top-50 rated Korean Hyung-Taik and fellow Briton Jamie Baker, Boggo was just two points away from knocking out the world No 5 - and the eventual winner - Andy Roddick, before losing in three close sets, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4.
You may also want to watch:
However, Bogdanovic, who had to rely on a wildcard for Queen's and Wimbledon, has set his sights on serving up an upset in SW19.
"Wimbledon is the big one," he told Wood&Vale Sport. "I feel I am ready. I had two rounds at Surburton, three at Queen's and one at Nottingham."
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 3 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 4 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 5 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 6 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 7 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 8 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 9 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 10 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101
The British No 3, who started his career under Peter Neathey at South Hampstead TC, says he has no worries about meeting some of the world's elite at Wimbeldon - he has already faced Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal there.
"Playing someone like Federer first up on Centre Court has helped me a lot," he said. "I felt like I was a better player last year when I played Nadal. This year I'm a better player still."
However, Boggo is refusing to get carried away with his battling display against Roddick, who later tipped him to break into the world's top 50.
"It was definitely the best performance of my career," he said. "I played a great match and I believe I can learn a lot from matches like that.
"In big matches you have to play your best tennis on big points and I'm working towards that. My target is to get into the top 100. I feel that in the next couple of weeks, if I continue playing like I did against Roddick, it is possible.
"I started Queen's at No 117 in the world and I've moved up a bit, so I'm already pretty close. But I need to take it one match at a time. Things like becoming the British No 2 would be nice but at the moment I'm more focused on making that top 100."
Indeed, one person who has already changed his mind about Bogdanovic is the British Davis Cup captain John Lloyd, who did not select him for his first two ties in charge. "I would not have any doubts about picking him now," said Lloyd this week. "I thought he was first class."
However, Bogdanovic failed to reproduced his Queen's form on Tuesday when he was beaten by Spain's Guillermo Garcia-Lopez at the Nottingham Open. Boggo trailed by a set overnight after rain stopped play and went on to lose 6-4, 7-6 (15-13).
l Meanwhile, Cumberland's British No 1 Anne Keothavong (left) suffered a setback to her Wimbledon preparations when she was beaten by former No 1 Elena Baltacha in Eastbourne on Tuesday. Baltacha, ranked 412 after struggling with injuries and illness, saw off the world No 179 6-2, 2-6, 7-6 (7-5) in round one. Keothavong needed an injury time-out when leading 5-4.