Black day as Hampstead Ladies are defeated in title tussle
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead’s ladies suffered a disappointing end to their league campaign in the Women’s Championship South East Division Two as they were defeated by promotion rivals Blackheath in a top-of-the-table clash.
Hampstead sat just one point behind the leaders, who had a game in hand, prior to kick-off. And, with only the top team being promoted to the second tier of the national pyramid, they knew they had to win to edge into the top spot and force Blackheath to win their extra match.
Visiting Hampstead started well but could not turn their pressure into points. Instead, they found themselves trailing 15-0 at half-time en route to a 22-0 defeat and must settle for second or third spot, depending on other results.
Nonetheless, Hampstead can reflect on a strong campaign in their second season at this level – and they will now contest the semi-finals of the RFU Women’s Intermediate Plate at the weekend.
Meanwhile, Hampstead’s second team were comprehensive winners against Blackheath’s second string.
You may also want to watch:
Annie Liddiard, who has been new to the sport this season, opened the scoring with a superb chip and chase, and Hampstead ultimately won a one-sided clash 38-5.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 3 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 6 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 7 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 8 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 9 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 10 'Time for the government to face up to the climate emergency'