Black day as Hampstead Ladies are defeated in title tussle
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead’s ladies suffered a disappointing end to their league campaign in the Women’s Championship South East Division Two as they were defeated by promotion rivals Blackheath in a top-of-the-table clash.
Hampstead sat just one point behind the leaders, who had a game in hand, prior to kick-off. And, with only the top team being promoted to the second tier of the national pyramid, they knew they had to win to edge into the top spot and force Blackheath to win their extra match.
Visiting Hampstead started well but could not turn their pressure into points. Instead, they found themselves trailing 15-0 at half-time en route to a 22-0 defeat and must settle for second or third spot, depending on other results.
Nonetheless, Hampstead can reflect on a strong campaign in their second season at this level – and they will now contest the semi-finals of the RFU Women’s Intermediate Plate at the weekend.
Meanwhile, Hampstead’s second team were comprehensive winners against Blackheath’s second string.
You may also want to watch:
Annie Liddiard, who has been new to the sport this season, opened the scoring with a superb chip and chase, and Hampstead ultimately won a one-sided clash 38-5.
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 3 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 4 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 5 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 6 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
- 7 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 8 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 9 Wine, cheese and caviar: New bar to open in South End Green
- 10 Top producer gives hit making masterclass