Black day as Hampstead Ladies are defeated in title tussle
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead’s ladies suffered a disappointing end to their league campaign in the Women’s Championship South East Division Two as they were defeated by promotion rivals Blackheath in a top-of-the-table clash.
Hampstead sat just one point behind the leaders, who had a game in hand, prior to kick-off. And, with only the top team being promoted to the second tier of the national pyramid, they knew they had to win to edge into the top spot and force Blackheath to win their extra match.
Visiting Hampstead started well but could not turn their pressure into points. Instead, they found themselves trailing 15-0 at half-time en route to a 22-0 defeat and must settle for second or third spot, depending on other results.
Nonetheless, Hampstead can reflect on a strong campaign in their second season at this level – and they will now contest the semi-finals of the RFU Women’s Intermediate Plate at the weekend.
Meanwhile, Hampstead’s second team were comprehensive winners against Blackheath’s second string.
You may also want to watch:
Annie Liddiard, who has been new to the sport this season, opened the scoring with a superb chip and chase, and Hampstead ultimately won a one-sided clash 38-5.
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 3 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 Billy Vunipola fails to impress as Saracens lose to Ealing
- 10 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres