Belsize Park score 12 tries in crushing victory over Hitchin
- Credit: Archant
Mark Liebling and Jeremy Burton both scored hat-tricks as Belsize Park ran in 12 tries in a crushing 72-7 home win over Hitchin, remaining level on points with league leaders London Nigerian in London North-West Division Three.
Belsize went ahead less than 30 seconds into the match as winger Liebling tapped down the kick-off to Miran Serdarevic, who exchanged passes with Will Ville and crossed the whitewash.
Hooker Stewart Shaw then sent Serdarevic on another run and he off-loaded to Alex Baboolal, who went over the line, while driving mauls from the line-out soon resulted in two more tries for Burton and Ben Parker.
Man of the match Liebling touched down twice in succession, opening his account after a 60-metre run and then finishing off a fine back-line move. And, although the hosts momentarily relaxed and conceded at the other end, they led 37-7 at half-time.
The onslaught continued after the break, with two more tries from driving mauls – Shaw and prop Vytas Semogas getting the glory – before Burton added his second try from a brilliant kick chase.
You may also want to watch:
Belsize were awarded a penalty try after a strong scrum, and some magic from Chris Dan sent Liebling over for his third try before Jack Marples freed Burton, who completed his own treble in the corner.
Director of rugby Zach Webb said: “We have worked a lot on leading with an aggressive defence and using our defensive line-out to gain more than parity at the line-out, and also at the scrum.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 9 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 10 Probe into £23m property deal is like 'a vendetta', says ex-deputy leader
“With that dominance up front by our pack, our backs have really been able to display their quality in attack.”