Belsize Park’s victory was ‘almost the perfect game’, says captain Hazlett

Jeremy Burton was Belsize Park's top scorer with 23 points. Pic: Paolo Minoli

Jeremy Burton was Belsize Park's top scorer with 23 points. Pic: Paolo Minoli - Credit: Archant

Belsize Park captain George Hazlett felt his side produced “almost the perfect game” as they bounced back from their opening-day defeat to thrash Finchley 61-12 in London North-West Division Three.

BP lost at home against London Nigerian in their first fixture but were 17-5 up at the break against Finchley on Saturday.

And, after a landmark moment around the hour-mark when they drove their hosts back 40m from a catch-and-drive lineout to score out wide, they went on to rack up a cricket score.

Centres Matt Komiti and John Corellis crossed the try-line along with wingers Ben Parker and Mark Liebling - and Ed Mott, Hazlett, Adam Caines and Will Ville also went over the whitewash, while Jeremy Burton kicked 23 and blindside flanker Mark McKinley was named the man of the match on his debut.

“I spoke last week about needing to improve and that definitely happened,” Hazlett told Ham&High Sport. “From kick-off we were just all over them and we walked off at the end thinking ‘that was a really good team performance’. Everyone played really well.

“The first half itself was reasonably close considering the amount of ball we had - at the end of the game we probably had something close to 80 per cent possession.

“It was almost the perfect game, everyone did everything they were meant to. Every time the forwards carried, they carried well. Every time we went wide the backs went through or ran round people.

Most Read

“What was pleasing in this game as opposed to the last game was that all of our forward runners were making metres, all getting over the gain line, constantly hammering them through the 10 and 12 channels, which they didn’t really have an answer for.

“The lineout functions and scrum went really well and our discipline was massively improved from the week before. We could have done more with the ball we had but all our hard work in the first half really paid off in the second half.

“Ten minutes into the second half they were done, knackered. The structures we’ve put in place all year really came to life – and about 20 minutes into the second half things really started to melt for the opposition.

“It started from a catch-and-drive lineout where we pushed them about 40 metres - which I think is unheard of in Belsize history – to set up a brilliant try out wide, and from that point it was just a matter of not dropping the ball and we would score a try.”