Belsize Park rue missed penalties in defeat against promotion rivals Fullerians
- Credit: Archant
Belsize Park were left to rue missed penalties as they were defeated 24-21 by promotion rivals Fullerians in Watford and dropped two places to fourth in London North-West Division Three.
Fullerians’ solid set piece gave them the platform to score the opening try, but BP responded as the forwards went through the phases and won two penalties, which Jeremy Burton converted to narrow the gap to one point at 7-6.
The hosts continued to dominate in the scrum and extended their lead, but Will Allen set up Daniel Minogue, who crossed the line.
Marshalled by livewire scrum-half Nathan Ladd, BP looked dangerous with ball in hand, with the forwards interlinking well and showing power and precision. The result was a number of penalties, but Burton struggled to convert them in the howling breeze.
Instead, Fullerians capitalised on loose mistakes as their forwards crashed over the whitewash. And, although Allen touched down with five minutes to go to bring Belsize within three points of their hosts, they were unable to get another late score.
You may also want to watch:
BP fly-half Richard Wilson said: “It’s always frustrating not to win the close ones but it was a decent game of rugby and all credit to Fullerians – they rode their luck beautifully.”
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 3 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 4 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
- 5 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 6 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 7 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 8 'State pension must be raised or older people face a dismal future'
- 9 Prince William brings environmental Earthshot Prize ceremony to Ally Pally
- 10 West Hampstead Women's Institute celebrates 10-year milestone