Belsize Park overcome Hemel Hempstead but fail to secure bonus point in title race
- Credit: Archant
Belsize Park lost their status as joint league leaders in London North-West Division Three after failing to secure a bonus point in their 20-3 victory over Hemel Hempstead.
One of Belsize’s two losses this season came away against Hemel in November. And, although they were more comfortable when they hosted their 11th-placed visitors on Saturday, they struggled to dominate up front against a large pack and committed a high number of unforced errors in the first half, leaving the scores tied at 3-3 at the interval.
The line-out then began to function and, after a strong scrum inside the visitors’ 22, Jamie Niven found second centre Ryan Forrester, who ran in under the posts, while full-back Chris Lilly added the conversion.
Man of the match Forrester then went on two powerful runs before second row Adam Caines touched down – and Forrester ran from the halfway line to score his second try in the corner and put the hosts 20-3 up.
But they squandered several chances to add the bonus point, allowing London Nigerian to move one point ahead in the title race.
You may also want to watch:
Director of rugby Zach Webb said: “I suppose it says something positive about the level of rugby that we are playing that a near bonus-point victory feels like our second-worst performance of the season. Our pack were left with things to think about.”
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 8 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour