Belsize Park overcome Hemel Hempstead but fail to secure bonus point in title race
- Credit: Archant
Belsize Park lost their status as joint league leaders in London North-West Division Three after failing to secure a bonus point in their 20-3 victory over Hemel Hempstead.
One of Belsize’s two losses this season came away against Hemel in November. And, although they were more comfortable when they hosted their 11th-placed visitors on Saturday, they struggled to dominate up front against a large pack and committed a high number of unforced errors in the first half, leaving the scores tied at 3-3 at the interval.
The line-out then began to function and, after a strong scrum inside the visitors’ 22, Jamie Niven found second centre Ryan Forrester, who ran in under the posts, while full-back Chris Lilly added the conversion.
Man of the match Forrester then went on two powerful runs before second row Adam Caines touched down – and Forrester ran from the halfway line to score his second try in the corner and put the hosts 20-3 up.
But they squandered several chances to add the bonus point, allowing London Nigerian to move one point ahead in the title race.
You may also want to watch:
Director of rugby Zach Webb said: “I suppose it says something positive about the level of rugby that we are playing that a near bonus-point victory feels like our second-worst performance of the season. Our pack were left with things to think about.”
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 3 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 4 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 5 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 6 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 9 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 10 E-scooter rider arrested over suspected drug dealing