Belsize Park overcome Hemel Hempstead but fail to secure bonus point in title race
- Credit: Archant
Belsize Park lost their status as joint league leaders in London North-West Division Three after failing to secure a bonus point in their 20-3 victory over Hemel Hempstead.
One of Belsize’s two losses this season came away against Hemel in November. And, although they were more comfortable when they hosted their 11th-placed visitors on Saturday, they struggled to dominate up front against a large pack and committed a high number of unforced errors in the first half, leaving the scores tied at 3-3 at the interval.
The line-out then began to function and, after a strong scrum inside the visitors’ 22, Jamie Niven found second centre Ryan Forrester, who ran in under the posts, while full-back Chris Lilly added the conversion.
Man of the match Forrester then went on two powerful runs before second row Adam Caines touched down – and Forrester ran from the halfway line to score his second try in the corner and put the hosts 20-3 up.
But they squandered several chances to add the bonus point, allowing London Nigerian to move one point ahead in the title race.
Director of rugby Zach Webb said: “I suppose it says something positive about the level of rugby that we are playing that a near bonus-point victory feels like our second-worst performance of the season. Our pack were left with things to think about.”
- 1 Bus collides with lamppost in Muswell Hill crash
- 2 Stephen Mangan has Crouch End pupils 'in stitches'
- 3 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 4 Developer told to dig up granite slabs at Hornsey Town Hall Square
- 5 George Michael estate helps fund Highgate Christmas lights
- 6 Christmas at Kenwood feels like walking in a winter wonderland
- 7 Infected Blood Inquiry: Transfusion centre was 'disaster zone'
- 8 Villa Bianca brings the Christmas cheer to Hampstead
- 9 Covid-19: Omicron cases confirmed in Haringey and Barnet
- 10 Haringey Council makes senior leadership appointments