Belsize Park overcome Hemel Hempstead but fail to secure bonus point in title race
- Credit: Archant
Belsize Park lost their status as joint league leaders in London North-West Division Three after failing to secure a bonus point in their 20-3 victory over Hemel Hempstead.
One of Belsize’s two losses this season came away against Hemel in November. And, although they were more comfortable when they hosted their 11th-placed visitors on Saturday, they struggled to dominate up front against a large pack and committed a high number of unforced errors in the first half, leaving the scores tied at 3-3 at the interval.
The line-out then began to function and, after a strong scrum inside the visitors’ 22, Jamie Niven found second centre Ryan Forrester, who ran in under the posts, while full-back Chris Lilly added the conversion.
Man of the match Forrester then went on two powerful runs before second row Adam Caines touched down – and Forrester ran from the halfway line to score his second try in the corner and put the hosts 20-3 up.
But they squandered several chances to add the bonus point, allowing London Nigerian to move one point ahead in the title race.
You may also want to watch:
Director of rugby Zach Webb said: “I suppose it says something positive about the level of rugby that we are playing that a near bonus-point victory feels like our second-worst performance of the season. Our pack were left with things to think about.”
- 1 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 2 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 3 Crouch End Vampires help feed homeless with soup kitchen fundraiser
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Rebuilt Carlton Tavern will be 'heart of the community' say hopeful landlords
- 6 West Hampstead restaurant cooks for NHS carers
- 7 Arsenal column: Granit Xhaka the stand out performer since Boxing Day but some of his senior professionals continue to disappoint
- 8 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 9 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 10 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close