Belsize Park have to settle for an ‘ugly win’ against Tabard
- Credit: Archant
Belsize Park edged past Tabard to maintain their unbeaten record in London Division Two North West but they made hard work of it with an “ugly win”.
The Regent’s Park outfit had been in sparkling form in their previous outing, running in five tries in their impressive 41-7 home win over Hammersmith & Fulham.
However, they were only able cross the whitewash twice on Saturday, against a side sitting in the bottom half of the table, and their failure to secure the bonus point in their 21-18 triumph meant they dropped from first to third, being overtaken by both Old Haberdashers and local rivals Hampstead.
Will Ville popped a pass to centre Ryan Forrester, who cut a line from the 22 and scored under the posts, while Jeremy Burton added the conversion – and Will Blevins then fed Ville, who popped up on the wing and touched down in the corner.
But Tabard kicked six penalties and Burton had to convert three himself to ensure Belsize finished on top and secured their sixth successive victory.
You may also want to watch:
“It was an ugly win against resilient opposition,” said director of rugby Zach Webb. “The penalty count drove the territory and territory drove the result.
“It was a contrast from the previous week but that is what these long seasons are about. We’re happy to get the result.”
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 4 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 5 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 6 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 7 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 8 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 9 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 10 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box