Belsize Park chairman targets promotion push
- Credit: Archant
Belsize Park chairman Joseph Murphy is hoping the first team can match the steady improvements in the club’s infrastructure and push for promotion in Herts/Middlesex Division One.
BP have previously trained at Westway sports centre but they moved to Coram’s Fields on Guildford Street in Camden this week.
The club has expanded in recent years, now fielding a second string, a third team (‘the Bulls’) and a fourth XV (‘the Buffalos’) – and this season, for the first time, the Buffalos have a full fixture list rather than playing on an ad hoc basis.
Murphy was delighted to see the first, second and third teams all winning their respective pre-season friendlies against Old Alleynians recently, and he is hopeful of a strong campaign on all fronts.
“Like most teams at our level the aspiration is to push for promotion [with the first XV],” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve brought good players in and, hopefully, with the new training facilities, we can continue to build on what we’ve done over the last few years, because four years ago we only had two teams.
“The Bulls won their merit league last season so hopefully that can inspire everyone else to add to the trophy cabinet.”
- 1 How many trees have been felled in the Parkland Walk?
- 2 5 days out in London where you can meet the animals
- 3 Burglar of £100k watches and jewellery haul jailed
- 4 Birthday Honours: Period Poverty campaigner Amika George becomes an MBE
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Neighbours fight plan for 'out of character' flats above nursery
- 7 Shakespeare comedy and children's shows at Regent's Park Open Air Theatre
- 8 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower
- 9 Boundary changes plan would 'split' Hampstead and see new Muswell Hill seat
- 10 My view: Hampstead could change a lot in the coming years, for the better
Jonny Jones has replaced Zach Webb as first-team captain, although the latter continues to have a high-profile role as the club’s director of rugby.