Belsize Park chairman targets promotion push
- Credit: Archant
Belsize Park chairman Joseph Murphy is hoping the first team can match the steady improvements in the club’s infrastructure and push for promotion in Herts/Middlesex Division One.
BP have previously trained at Westway sports centre but they moved to Coram’s Fields on Guildford Street in Camden this week.
The club has expanded in recent years, now fielding a second string, a third team (‘the Bulls’) and a fourth XV (‘the Buffalos’) – and this season, for the first time, the Buffalos have a full fixture list rather than playing on an ad hoc basis.
Murphy was delighted to see the first, second and third teams all winning their respective pre-season friendlies against Old Alleynians recently, and he is hopeful of a strong campaign on all fronts.
“Like most teams at our level the aspiration is to push for promotion [with the first XV],” he said.
“We’ve brought good players in and, hopefully, with the new training facilities, we can continue to build on what we’ve done over the last few years, because four years ago we only had two teams.
“The Bulls won their merit league last season so hopefully that can inspire everyone else to add to the trophy cabinet.”
- 1 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 2 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 3 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 4 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 5 The most expensive homes sold in Camden in November 2021
- 6 Jimmy C's wife on how she is keeping 'his memory alive'
- 7 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 8 Murphy's Yard 825-home tower block development to be 'car free'
- 9 'Large cannabis factory’ discovered on Frobisher Road
- 10 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
Jonny Jones has replaced Zach Webb as first-team captain, although the latter continues to have a high-profile role as the club’s director of rugby.