Aviva Premiership: Worcester 3 Saracens 25

Saracens Nick Tompkins is tackled by Worcester Warriors Jono Kitto during the Aviva Premiership matc

Saracens Nick Tompkins is tackled by Worcester Warriors Jono Kitto during the Aviva Premiership match at Sixways Stadium (pic David Davies/PA) - Credit: PA Wire/PA Images

An improved second-half performance from Saracens saw them eventually quell a battling Worcester at Sixways.

Despite leading 13-3 at half-time, the visitors were clearly second best as Warriors threw everything at their opponents but could not make it count.

After the interval, the strength of the Saracens bench saw them gain control of the match with two tries from Chris Wyles and one from Alex Goode proving decisive.

Alex Lozowki converted one and added two penalties, with Owen Farrell converting one. A penalty from Jamie Shillcock was Worcester’s only contribution to the scoreboard.

Saracens began strongly to take an early lead as the home side’s defence was run ragged by some well-judged passing and a clever final pass from Goode left Wyles with an easy run-in for a sixth-minute try.

Lozowski converted from the touchline and then added a penalty before Worcester responded with their first period of pressure.

A kick and chase from Josh Adams forced Goode into conceding a five-metre scrum and from there the hosts battered the try-line before a thumping tackle by George Kruis on Biyi Alo forced the 22-stone prop to knock on, which allowed the visitors to temporarily clear the danger.

Most Read

When Wyles and Goode got into a careless tangle in their 22, Warriors had another opportunity to threaten but they infringed at the resulting scrum and the chance was gone.

Shillcock deservedly put his side on the scoreboard with a well-struck penalty on the half-hour, but Lozowski replied with his second success for Saracens to hand them a 13-3 lead at the interval.

This was not a fair reflection, though, as Warriors had dominated the last 30 minutes of the half but lacked the accuracy and creativity needed to take advantage against a resolute defence.

The opening period of the second half was featureless, with both sides making elementary errors before Saracens made four substitutions in one hit.

Mako Vunipola and Richard Wigglesworth were two of these and it paid immediate dividends when Duncan Taylor made a clean break to send Goode over.

Maro Itoje then departed as Saracens continued to empty their bench, with Farrell one of the new arrivals with 25 minutes remaining.

Taylor, who was forced out to the wing from centre as early as the sixth minute due to an injury to Sean Maitland, continued to be a thorn in the Worcester defence and another excellent break almost resulted in a try, but a second from Wyles emphasised Saracens’ second-half superiority.