Anne justifies wildcard place by winning tournament
CUMBERLAND S Anne Keothavong justified her late wildcard entry by winning the inaugural Barnstaple Open in Devon on Sunday. Keothavong beat Italy s Alberta Brianti 6-4, 6-2 to lift the Darlington Vase in the $50,000 final at the South Coast s Tarka Tenni
CUMBERLAND'S Anne Keothavong justified her late wildcard entry by winning the inaugural Barnstaple Open in Devon on Sunday.
Keothavong beat Italy's Alberta Brianti 6-4, 6-2 to lift the Darlington Vase in the $50,000 final at the South Coast's Tarka Tennis Centre.
The British No.1, whose world ranking has risen five places to 75 this week, reached the final with a 6-4, 6-4 defeat of fellow Brit Katie O'Brien.
Keothavong stormed though to the final without dropping a set and believes she is now well equipped to take on top players.
You may also want to watch:
"Alberta was a fantastic opponent and played some great tennis but I felt I perhaps was the stronger player today," said Keothavong.
"It's my first time in Barnstaple and I have really enjoyed being here. I'm very pleased I accepted my last minute wildcard.
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 3 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 4 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 5 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 6 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 7 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 8 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 9 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 10 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach
"I've had a great time and a lovely week. Everyone has been welcoming and friendly."The British girls have all felt we have had a lot of support all week."
Last month Keothavong reached a career high world ranking of No.71 after reaching the third round of the US Open and the second round at Wimbledon.