Anne justifies wildcard place by winning tournament
CUMBERLAND S Anne Keothavong justified her late wildcard entry by winning the inaugural Barnstaple Open in Devon on Sunday. Keothavong beat Italy s Alberta Brianti 6-4, 6-2 to lift the Darlington Vase in the $50,000 final at the South Coast s Tarka Tenni
CUMBERLAND'S Anne Keothavong justified her late wildcard entry by winning the inaugural Barnstaple Open in Devon on Sunday.
Keothavong beat Italy's Alberta Brianti 6-4, 6-2 to lift the Darlington Vase in the $50,000 final at the South Coast's Tarka Tennis Centre.
The British No.1, whose world ranking has risen five places to 75 this week, reached the final with a 6-4, 6-4 defeat of fellow Brit Katie O'Brien.
Keothavong stormed though to the final without dropping a set and believes she is now well equipped to take on top players.
You may also want to watch:
"Alberta was a fantastic opponent and played some great tennis but I felt I perhaps was the stronger player today," said Keothavong.
"It's my first time in Barnstaple and I have really enjoyed being here. I'm very pleased I accepted my last minute wildcard.
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 4 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 5 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 8 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 9 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 10 Crouch End drugs raid sees 'cannabis plants and equipment seized'
"I've had a great time and a lovely week. Everyone has been welcoming and friendly."The British girls have all felt we have had a lot of support all week."
Last month Keothavong reached a career high world ranking of No.71 after reaching the third round of the US Open and the second round at Wimbledon.