Admirable Nelson takes command to lead Brondesbury to victory
- Credit: Archant
Rob Nelson produced another virtuoso display as Brondesbury finished their promotion-winning season with a 130-run thumping of Ickenham.
Nelson, who made 72 and took four wickets against Harrow Town last weekend to secure a top-two spot – and promotion to the Premier Division – produced an even better display on the last day of the season.
The veteran took an astonishing 7-10 as Brondesbury skittled Ickenham for just 98, well short of their target of 229, leaving Brondesbury second in the table and preparing for the top division next season.
James Overy laid the foundations for another stylish Brondesbury win, making 90 after his side were put in to bat, supported by Simon Butler (47), Tom Simpson (25) and Hugh Gimber (28).
Andy Marshall took 3-54 for Ickenham, but Brondesbury’s declaration on 228-8 left them well-placed for victory.
Ickenham were in trouble as soon as Charith Gunasekara was bowled by David Miller for 16, and things steadily got worse as Nelson hit his stride.
Nelson removed Mike Olsen, David Gibson and Steve Gibson for ducks, Sam Bensted for nine and Ross Berti for 31. Vrushant Patel made 10 before he too fell to Nelson, completing a remarkable seven-wicket haul.
- 1 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
- 2 Free beach returns to Finchley Road for the summer
- 3 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 4 George Michael's Highgate piano to be auctioned off
- 5 Crouch End Festival: 'Back with a bang bigger than ever'
- 6 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 7 'Do the right thing': Locket containing baby's ashes stolen from car
- 8 Fans pray for Bosco 'and his big stick' as he goes into surgery
- 9 Bow Lock murder: Victim's two girlfriends give evidence at Old Bailey
- 10 'Gabriels stun Koko – superstardom seems inevitable'
Ananda Iyer managed 23 for Ickenham, but they were always going to fall short, eventually skittled for 98.