Ace Keothavong continues world ranking bid in Tokyo tournament
CUMBERLAND S Anne Keothavong is set to jet off to Japan for next week s international tournament in Tokyo in a bid to continue her rise up the world rankings, writes Simon Jackson. Keothavong has surged 16 places to No.71 in the world after reaching the t
CUMBERLAND'S ANNE KEOTHAVONG IS SET TO JET OFF TO JAPAN FOR NEXT WEEK'S INTERNATIONAL TOURNAMENT IN TOKYO IN A BID TO CONTINUE HER RISE UP THE WORLD RANKINGS, WRITES SIMON JACKSON.
KEOTHAVONG HAS SURGED 16 PLACES TO NO.71 IN THE WORLD AFTER REACHING THE THIRD ROUND OF THE US OPEN. THE 24-YEAR-OLD LOST IN STRAIGHT SETS TO THE WORLD NO.4 AND THE NEWLY-CROWNED OLYMPIC CHAMPION ELENA DEMENTIEVA 6-3, 6-4.
NOW BRITISH NO.1 KEOTHAVONG IS TARGETING THE TOP 50 BEFORE THE END OF THE YEAR. "I FEEL LIKE I CAN CLIMB THE RANKINGS," SAID KEOTHAVONG. "THE NEXT STAGE FOR ME IS TO BREAK INTO THE TOP 50."
AND KEOTHAVONG IS UNCONCERNED THAT SHE MAY HAVE TO QUALIFY FOR THE TOKYO EVENT, WHICH STARTS ON TUESDAY. "I AM IN GOOD SHAPE," SHE SAID. "I'M READY TO BE AMONG THE BETTER PLAYERS."
You may also want to watch:
EARLIER IN THE YEAR, KEOTHAVONG REACHED THE SECOND ROUND AT WIMBLEDON BEFORE LOSING TO THE EVENTUAL CHAMPION VENUS WILLIAMS 7-5, 6-2.
L GLOBE'S ALEX BOGDANOVIC JOINS ANDY AND JAMIE MURRAY IN THE GREAT BRITAIN TEAM FOR NEXT WEEKEND'S DAVIS CUP WORLD GROUP PLAY-OFF TIE AGAINST AUSTRIA AT WIMBLEDON.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 3 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 6 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'
- 7 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
- 8 'Time for the government to face up to the climate emergency'
- 9 'No one should be aiming to breathe air that is only just legal'
- 10 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains