Abel is worth her weight in wine
SVENJA Abel won her weight in wine when she was the first woman to cross the line in the inaugural Anthony Nolan Trust Royal Romp 5k road race in Regent s Park on Sunday. Abel clocked 17 minutes and 23 seconds to seal the top prize and set up a one-two fo
SVENJA Abel won her weight in wine when she was the first woman to cross the line in the inaugural Anthony Nolan Trust Royal Romp 5k road race in Regent's Park on Sunday.
Abel clocked 17 minutes and 23 seconds to seal the top prize and set up a one-two for Harriers by beating clubmate Becky Penty into second in 17:36.07
The race, organised by Highgate's Ben Pochee, offered as a prize to the first man and woman finishers the winner's bodyweight in wine.
The men's prize went to Neilson Hall (Herts Phoenix and Bedford County) who set a course record of 14:57 when first from the 150 competitors . Paul Martelleti (Victoria Park & Tower Hamlets) was second in 15:15.3 with Tom Gardner third (15:44.9), Steve Murphy (Shaftesbury Barnet) fourth (15:49.3) and Highgate's Henry Dodwell fifth in 15:50.1.
You may also want to watch:
Other Highgate runners included Dale Bickham (16:31.5) and Shane Snow (16:34.9). and veteran Chris Bailey (18:12.4).
Pochee said: "The Inaugural Royal Romp attracted elite fundraisers and elite runners who combined to celebrate the creation of a new and special Annual Anthony Nolan event in Regents Park.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 3 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 4 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 5 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 6 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 7 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 8 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 9 'Football is everything': Camden United on tackling knife crime and supporting community
- 10 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
"Camden's Deputy Mayor, Abdul Quadir, gave a rousing toast to both the event and the fantastic work of the Anthony Nolan Trust.
"Maurice Raynor of the Mornington Chasers, Royal Parks, Asics, and Runners Need plus other volunteers, helped make the event go with a swing and I look forward to another event like that next year."
Elsewhere, Shaun Dixon notched a best when he recorded 8:40.3 in the British Milers Club regional race and Richard Stewart won the Grovelands Park Run 10k for the second time in 17:55.