Barnet council chief executive leaves after polling station blunder
PUBLISHED: 15:05 09 May 2016 | UPDATED: 15:23 09 May 2016
The Chief Executive of Barnet council, Andrew Travers, has left his position by “mutual agreement”, officials have confirmed.
Mr Travers leaves after a blunder with the electoral registrations left many voters in Barnet unable to cast their ballot last Thursday.
All 155 polling stations in Barnet were affected and Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis and his wife Valerie were among those to be turned away from voting.
As reported in the Ham&High, London Woman’s Equality mayoral candidate Sophie Walker, made a formal complaint against Barnet Council following the fiasco.
A council spokesman said: “Following the events during the morning of Thursday’s elections, it has been decided, by mutual agreement that Andrew Travers, Chief Executive, will leave the council.
John Hooton, Chief Operating Officer and Deputy Chief Executive, will take over in the interim.
The council has launched an independent investigation into election problems to report at the end of May.
A Barnet Council spokesperson said: “The terms of reference will include a full review of the issues that arose last week as well as the appropriateness of the arrangements in place for the EU Referendum in June.
“We are currently in discussions to establish who will lead on the investigation.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.