Youth crime initiatives are warmly welcomed
I write in relation to Tan Parson s article on Jacksons Lane Theatre and the role drama has to play in guiding young people away from crime (Dramatic role play fights street violence, H&H, August 7). This is a worthy initiative. As the mother of a teenag
I write in relation to Tan Parson's article on Jacksons Lane Theatre and the role drama has to play in guiding young people away from crime (Dramatic role play fights street violence, H&H, August 7).
This is a worthy initiative. As the mother of a teenager, the issue of violent youth crime is one that concerns me, particularly as this problem has become so prevalent in society.
My son's uncle, Tom Easton, was 22 when he was stabbed to death whilst working as a sound engineer in September 2006. Tom's mother and step-father set up the Flavasum Trust in memory of Tom, with the aim of raising awareness and providing music facilities for young people to keep them off the streets.
Undoubtedly parents and the wider community have a central role to play. However, the decline in funding for sports and youth facilities means that for teenagers, there is often little alternative to hanging around the streets. In addition, murders are often committed by people who are mentally unstable and have been inappropriately released into the care of the community.
You may also want to watch:
Proper investments in youth and sports facilities and improved care for mentally ill members of the community are the issues that should be at the top of the government's agenda.
- 1 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 5 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 6 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 7 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 8 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 9 Motorcyclist in 'life-threatening' condition after collision with a car in Maida Vale
- 10 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?