World’s End pub landlord was robbed as he lay dead in the street in Camden Town

World's End pub landlord Michael Doheny was found dead in Camden Town last year

World's End pub landlord Michael Doheny was found dead in Camden Town last year - Credit: Archant

The landlord of an iconic Camden Town pub was robbed as he lay dead in the street after falling over drunk and hitting his head last year.

Michael Doheny, 49, who was known as Mick, owned The World’s End pub in Camden High Street for 16 years, transforming it from a rough after-hours boozer into a popular tourist destination in the heart of bustling Camden Town.

But in the early hours of a cold November morning last year, he was found dead in nearby Pratt Street after a day and night of drinking at his favourite pubs, an inquest at St Pancras Coroner’s Court heard on Friday.

Cosmos Scullion, who called the police, said Mr Doheny was lying “in what only can be described as starfish position with his body in the street”.

Some of Mr Doheny’s possessions were also strewn across the road and two people have been charged with theft.

Speaking after the inquest his 25-year-old son, Seb Doheny, said: “It’s saddening to see the sort of things people can do.

“We’re happy with the investigation and we’re happy the people involved have been bought to justice.”

Most Read

Mr Doheny, who lived above his pub, had been drinking his usual large Paddy’s Whisky and a pint of Guinness at the Golden Lion pub in Royal College Street on the night he died.

The landlady, Mary Murphy said in a statement: “I’ve known him for 13 years. At approximately 10pm he arrived at the Golden Lion.

“I didn’t notice anything unusual about him or anything different. He was in the pub until 12.15am. He had a few drinks and he was his usual self.”

But Mr Doheny’s partner became worried when he did not return to his flat by the early hours of the morning and went out to look for him, only to discover that Pratt Street was blocked off by police cars and an ambulance.

She later received a call with the news that he was dead.

When police arrived on the scene, they could not resuscitate Mr Doheny and he was pronounced dead at 4.40am in the morning.

Deputy Coroner Dr Richard Brittain recorded a verdict of accidental death and said the cause of death was a blunt force head injury and the affects of alcohol.

He said: “He clearly and deliberately had a lot to drink that evening and it was part of his normal social pattern.

“As a consequence, the drinking meant his balance was impaired. He left the pub and had a fall.

“It is more likely than not that it was accidental death.”

His son said at the inquest that his father “unfortunately did like his drink” but that he was a devoted family man.

“He was dedicated to his work, it was always his priority and also to support his family,” he said.

Speaking after the inquest he added: “He was a very educated and intelligent person. He was a vibrant part of the Camden community and long-live his memory in that regard. We’re trying to get over it as best we can.”

Mr Doheny is survived by his son and two daughters who live in Ireland, 16-year-old Sarah and 13-year-old Eileen.