Workman crushed to death by crane at Hampstead site
A MAN was crushed to death by a crane at a building site in Hampstead Conservation Area today (Friday, March 6). Witnesses report that at around 12.30pm the crane fell into a basement excavation at a property in Denning Road and that the worker was crushe
A MAN was crushed to death by a crane at a building site in Hampstead Conservation Area today (Friday, March 6).
Witnesses report that at around 12.30pm the crane fell into a basement excavation at a property in Denning Road and that the worker was crushed across the torso by the jib.
London Ambulance Service sent three vehicles and an air ambulance but when they arrived at the scene the man, in his thirties, was already dead. Police closed the road for the rest of the day.
No one from Harris Calnan, the contractor carrying out the works at the property, was available to comment.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Pennington Phillips, the architects behind the development, said: "We do not yet know the full details ourselves at the moment, but this is a tragedy."
Police have not yet formally identified the victim.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
- 7 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 8 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 9 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 10 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
The death is being investigated by the Health and Safety Executive.