Workers discover 30m well buried under Muswell Hill Broadway
- Credit: Archant
Haringey Council has invited English Heritage to investigate the well’s history
Thames Water were carrying out work to replace a water main near the Crocodile Antiques shop and Starbucks on Muswell Hill Broadway when they made the surprising discovery last week.
Haringey Council are in talks with English Heritage and hope they will examine the well in more detail.
Temporary traffic lights were put in place while construction workers dug up the road to uncover the well, but it is believed they will be removed imminently.
The water mains replacement is part of an ongoing programme by Thames Water taking place throughout Muswell Hill.
The name “Muswell Hill” is believed to derive from a spring or well called the “Mossy Well.”
- 1 Ashling Murphy: Camden pays tribute to murdered primary school teacher
- 2 North London road and rail disruptions in the week ahead
- 3 Drug runner caught at Euston with heroin in underwear jailed for four years
- 4 The story of a pond returning to Hampstead Heath
- 5 How a stray Hampstead cat changed the life of artist Louis Wain
- 6 Hampstead retail site snapped up for £7m by property firm
- 7 Nine of London's best vegan restaurants to try this Veganuary
- 8 Cirque du Soleil: Luzia Royal Albert Hall ****
- 9 Guilty: Woman stirred up racial hatred with social media posts on Grenfell
- 10 How the battle for Hampstead Heath inspired the National Trust