WORDS TO THE WISE: quotes from our May 29 edition
For us volunteers, the hut is a great blessing, especially on cold days as it has a heater and is an improvement on the tomb opposite, where we used to shelter and feel the cold. Highgate Cemetery volunteer Tom Richardson defends the controversial pink en
For us volunteers, the hut is a great blessing, especially on cold days as it has a heater and is an improvement on the tomb opposite, where we used to shelter and feel the cold.
Highgate Cemetery volunteer Tom Richardson defends the controversial pink entrance hut, labelled Checkpoint Charlie by critics.
The programme emerges from a mixture of serendipity, brainstorming and personal knowledge. Our policy is not to engage relative newcomers - even if they have already had airings on radio or in the concert hall - without first hearing them live. The demo CD is not always a reliable guide to what we hear in the flesh.
Proms at St Jude's committee member Thomas Radice explains how the event's invariably excellent programme comes together, with discretion the greater part of valour.
You may also want to watch:
No-one ever had fun or made friends on either side. It was too frightening and alienating an experience to go off at 11 to stay with a strange family in a strange country.
Children's author Sian Pattenden (pictured) doesn't believe French exchange visits were worthwhile, and never went on one herself - though they have provided her with plenty of inspiration.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 6 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 7 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United
The van is a joy - people come running when they hear the music - we have 64 chimes,
Instead of selling ice cream to kids, Helen Tindale's van has courgettes and lentil dishes on the menu.
We need to establish a broad consensus between all interested bodies. This is a major task and, in view of the increasing threats to the Heath from proposed developments, an urgent one.
Columnist Bob Hall, chair of the Hampstead Heath management committee, calls for a co-ordinated effort to protect Hampstead Heath.