WORDS TO THE WISE: Quotes from our April 30 edition
He was a great campaigner for social justice – the whole family is incredibly kind. The ceremony had a great sense of playfulness. It was very moving but very funny. U2 frontman Bono – just one of the many celebrity mourners at St Bride s Church last Frid
He was a great campaigner for social justice - the whole family is incredibly kind. The ceremony had a great sense of playfulness. It was very moving but very funny.
U2 frontman Bono - just one of the many celebrity mourners at St Bride's Church last Friday to celebrate the life of Sir Clement Freud.
We were basically held prisoner when we'd done nothing wrong. There were children and babies, and people started throwing things that included glass bottles. We're not anti-police - I can see they need to be there to make sure any troublemakers are kept in line. But there's a way of doing it and it doesn't involve keeping people prisoner.
Peaceful protester Sarah Cope, from Highgate, who spent two terrifying hours trapped at the G20 demonstrations thanks to the thuggish tactics of the Metropolitan Police.
You may also want to watch:
The government should get rid of Sats - they've had their day.
Coldfall primary school headteacher Evelyn Davies joins the list of experts speaking out against the Standard Assessment Tests (Sats). Ms Davies met education minister Jim Knight to present him with a survey which showed 90 per cent of parents at the school were against the tests. But will it make any difference?
- 1 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 4 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 7 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 'As a welcoming, tolerant and caring community, we have all lost'
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
So many people have said to me: 'They could have pulled a knife on you' but you don't go through all the outcomes before you do it. It could easily have gone horribly wrong. But I know I would not have been able to hold my head up high if I had run away.
Have-a-go hero and Hampstead-based physiotherapist Damon Newrick (pictured) received a certificate of commendation from Haringey police after he intervened to protect a robbery victim in Highgate a year ago.