WORDS TO THE WISE: Quotes from our April 30 edition
He was a great campaigner for social justice – the whole family is incredibly kind. The ceremony had a great sense of playfulness. It was very moving but very funny. U2 frontman Bono – just one of the many celebrity mourners at St Bride s Church last Frid
He was a great campaigner for social justice - the whole family is incredibly kind. The ceremony had a great sense of playfulness. It was very moving but very funny.
U2 frontman Bono - just one of the many celebrity mourners at St Bride's Church last Friday to celebrate the life of Sir Clement Freud.
We were basically held prisoner when we'd done nothing wrong. There were children and babies, and people started throwing things that included glass bottles. We're not anti-police - I can see they need to be there to make sure any troublemakers are kept in line. But there's a way of doing it and it doesn't involve keeping people prisoner.
Peaceful protester Sarah Cope, from Highgate, who spent two terrifying hours trapped at the G20 demonstrations thanks to the thuggish tactics of the Metropolitan Police.
You may also want to watch:
The government should get rid of Sats - they've had their day.
Coldfall primary school headteacher Evelyn Davies joins the list of experts speaking out against the Standard Assessment Tests (Sats). Ms Davies met education minister Jim Knight to present him with a survey which showed 90 per cent of parents at the school were against the tests. But will it make any difference?
- 1 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 4 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 5 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 6 Watchdog upholds 27 complaints over 'systemic' failures by Haringey Council
- 7 E-scooter rider arrested over suspected drug dealing
- 8 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 9 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 10 'Cycling is the future – and we must pay instructors fairly'
So many people have said to me: 'They could have pulled a knife on you' but you don't go through all the outcomes before you do it. It could easily have gone horribly wrong. But I know I would not have been able to hold my head up high if I had run away.
Have-a-go hero and Hampstead-based physiotherapist Damon Newrick (pictured) received a certificate of commendation from Haringey police after he intervened to protect a robbery victim in Highgate a year ago.