WORDS TO THE WISE: Quotes from our April 30 edition
He was a great campaigner for social justice – the whole family is incredibly kind. The ceremony had a great sense of playfulness. It was very moving but very funny. U2 frontman Bono – just one of the many celebrity mourners at St Bride s Church last Frid
He was a great campaigner for social justice - the whole family is incredibly kind. The ceremony had a great sense of playfulness. It was very moving but very funny.
U2 frontman Bono - just one of the many celebrity mourners at St Bride's Church last Friday to celebrate the life of Sir Clement Freud.
We were basically held prisoner when we'd done nothing wrong. There were children and babies, and people started throwing things that included glass bottles. We're not anti-police - I can see they need to be there to make sure any troublemakers are kept in line. But there's a way of doing it and it doesn't involve keeping people prisoner.
Peaceful protester Sarah Cope, from Highgate, who spent two terrifying hours trapped at the G20 demonstrations thanks to the thuggish tactics of the Metropolitan Police.
You may also want to watch:
The government should get rid of Sats - they've had their day.
Coldfall primary school headteacher Evelyn Davies joins the list of experts speaking out against the Standard Assessment Tests (Sats). Ms Davies met education minister Jim Knight to present him with a survey which showed 90 per cent of parents at the school were against the tests. But will it make any difference?
- 1 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 2 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 3 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 4 Kentish Town café fundraises to keep community spirit alive
- 5 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
- 6 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 7 Hampstead families aim to raise £50,000 to feed Royal Free medics
- 8 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
- 9 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 10 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
So many people have said to me: 'They could have pulled a knife on you' but you don't go through all the outcomes before you do it. It could easily have gone horribly wrong. But I know I would not have been able to hold my head up high if I had run away.
Have-a-go hero and Hampstead-based physiotherapist Damon Newrick (pictured) received a certificate of commendation from Haringey police after he intervened to protect a robbery victim in Highgate a year ago.