WORDS TO THE WISE: from our March 27 edition
Reporter Moira Main wasn t allowed to cover proceedings at the Magistrates Court in Downshire Hill for fear she would be exposed to sordid things like prostitution. There was no news on the front page until the war broke out, when it was deemed a suffici
Reporter Moira Main wasn't allowed to cover proceedings at the Magistrates' Court in Downshire Hill for fear she would be exposed to sordid things like prostitution. There was no news on the front page until the war broke out, when it was deemed a sufficiently momentous event to break with tradition.
Norman Hudis became a Hollywood scriptwriter but in 1939 he was a cub reporter for the Ham&High. Things were very different then, as he recalls.
After riding on the back of a racing motorbike for her 92nd birthday, a voyage in a Virgin balloon will be a serene and unforgettable experience.
A Virgin spokesman extends 100th birthday greetings to Judy Goldshaw. Richard Branson's company is giving her a hot air balloon ride to mark her special day.
You may also want to watch:
I'll never forget a production of The Crucible in 1972 - it was the first stage play I had ever done and I knew on the first performance that it was the career I wanted to do forever.
Tessa Peake Jones, who played Raquel in hit comedy Only Fools and Horses, recalls treading the boards for the very first time with the Hampstead Garden Suburb Theatre Group, which also has a 100th birthday to celebrate. Hot air balloons, anyone?
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 3 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 4 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 5 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 6 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 7 Wine, cheese and caviar: New bar to open in South End Green
- 8 Top producer gives hit making masterclass
- 9 Prince William brings environmental Earthshot Prize ceremony to Ally Pally
- 10 'You're welcome here': Best pals, 12, make care packages for Afghan refugees
I had never been lonely in my life before. It's a very long day being at home with babies and, of course, you are going to end up miserable.
Siobhan Freegard, founder of netmums.com, soon discovered that motherhood isn't all plain sailing.
It's refreshing to ask questions of people who actually want to give you an answer.
Radio 4 inquisitor John Humphrys is clearly enjoying his role as presenter of Mastermind.