Words to the Wise: favourite quotes from our January 17 edition
IT must have been terrifying being cut off from the outside world in the middle of nowhere with their daughter and grandchildren and the very strong possibility they would all die. They wouldn t eat anything brought into the house in case it was poisoned
IT must have been terrifying being cut off from the outside world in the middle of nowhere with their daughter and grandchildren and the very strong possibility they would all die. They wouldn't eat anything brought into the house in case it was poisoned and what saved them emotionally was discovering an old radio under the bed that they tuned into the World Service.
Playwright Penny Gold has spun a tense political thriller from the stand-off that ended with the Gorbachevs' safe return to Moscow.
She read some of my poems and wanted me to publish them. Then one day she just gave me £1,000 in cash for me to have them published.
George Eugeniou, founder of Theatro Technis, pays tribute to Francis Harper an old-fashioned benefactor who died at 81.
The first time I left, I was kicked out. The second time it was a deliberate decision. I proved I could get back but almost as soon as I did I realised I had lost the oomph it needed. In opposition the stress was great but the rewards were zero. It was a daily struggle for basic credibility. I'm happy to be out.
Michael Portillo tells features editor Bridget Galton about the joys of discovering a life after politics. Hear him at Regent's College's Speakers in the Park series on Monday night.
- 1 'Gabriels stun Koko – superstardom seems inevitable'
- 2 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 3 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 4 Free beach returns to Finchley Road for the summer
- 5 Camden councillors set to give themselves a pay rise
- 6 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
- 7 Heath patrols to increase after fisherman robbed at knifepoint
- 8 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 9 Crouch End Festival: 'Back with a bang bigger than ever'
- 10 Five bedroom Arts and Crafts style house with landscaped garden in Muswell Hill/East Finchley borders
Service was smooth as silk. Silver chargers lifted as soon as we'd ordered, surplus glasses gone, a jug of water provided without so much as a raised eyebrow. Why can't it always be like this?
Restaurant critic Victoria Prever, mightily impressed by the service at a certain West Hampstead eatery.