Woodgate boosts Spurs' league survival
Hull City 1 Spurs 2 TOTTENHAM boosted their Premier League survival bid as Jonathan Woodgate's late header secured a 2-1 win at Hull City at the KC Stadium last night, writes PATRICK MOONEY. Spurs boss Harry Redknapp was looking for a lift going into Sun
Hull City 1 Spurs 2
TOTTENHAM boosted their Premier League survival bid as Jonathan Woodgate's late header secured a 2-1 win at Hull City at the KC Stadium last night, writes PATRICK MOONEY.
Spurs boss Harry Redknapp was looking for a lift going into Sunday's Carling Cup final with Manchester United and he found it in the form of last season's Wembley hero Woodgate.
The centre-half rose with purpose in the penalty area four minutes from time to power home Benoit Assou-Ekotto's left-wing cross.
The Lilyhites had earlier taken the lead on 17 minutes through Aaron Lennon's splendid shot from the edge of the area after a short corner.
Hull deservedly drew level 10 minutes later when Michael Turner stabbed home from close range after Spurs goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini flapped at Andy Dawson's corner.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 3 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 4 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 5 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 6 Sexual offence reports at record levels in Camden, Haringey and Barnet
- 7 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 8 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 9 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 10 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
Spurs responded to Harry Redknapp's half-time team talk and City were forced on the defensive in the second half.
Tottenham almost regained the lead when Vedran Corluka's header from a Luka Modric free kick clipped the top of the crossbar.
Indeed, Kamil Zayatte's header, which came back off the post, was City's only chance after the break, but they appeared to be on the way to a point until Woodgate's late intervention.
Tottenham: Cudicini, Corluka, Woodgate (Dawson 89), King, Assou-Ekotto, Lennon (Zokora 87), Jenas, Palacios, Modric, Keane, Bent (Pavlyuchenko 72). Subs Not Used: Gomes, Bentley, Huddlestone, Chimbonda. Booked: Modric. Att: 24,742 .