Woman who died at Swiss Cottage swimming pool is named
- Credit: Archant
A woman who died while swimming at Swiss Cottage Leisure Centre has been named.
A lifeguard fought to save the life of 59-year-old Nebiat Tekleab, of Ariel Road, West Hampstead, after she disappeared under water following a suspected heart attack on Tuesday, March 18.
She was swimming at the leisure centre’s pool in Adelaide Road when she sank under water at about 11am.
The lifeguard immediately intervened and attempted to resuscitate her at the poolside.
Shocked leisure centre users watched as paramedics ran from an air ambulance that landed at nearby Swiss Cottage Open Space and performed CPR for another 20 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
But sadly Ms Tekleab was pronounced dead at the scene.
Emergency services attended after reports that a swimmer had suffered a heart attack.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 3 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 4 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 5 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 6 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 7 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 9 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 10 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101
The coroner’s office is investigating the death.