Woman throws pet rabbits and their babies out of car boot onto Hampstead Heath
- Credit: Archant
Seven pet rabbits, including five babies, were thrown out of a car boot and dumped “like rubbish” on Hampstead Heath last week.
Two dog walkers watched on in horror as the pets were callously tossed out of a car one-by-one and abandoned by a woman who drove up to the Heath in her car last Tuesday.
The walkers immediately called Kensal Green rehoming charity, The Mayhew Animal Home, and welfare officers arrived soon afterwards to rescue the bunnies from the green space.
All seven rabbits – a mum, dad, and their five 12-week-old babies – were in shock but in otherwise good health.
Zoe Edwards, animal welfare manager at The Mayhew, said: “To dump rabbits like rubbish is a terrible act.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re so glad that the rabbits were spotted in time and weren’t left to fend for themselves on Hampstead Heath for too long.
“Being what appears to be domesticated rabbits, it’s worrying to think what could have happened to them if they’d been abandoned there for much longer.
- 1 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 2 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 3 David Amess murder: Met searches London addresses
- 4 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
- 5 West Hampstead Women's Institute celebrates 10-year milestone
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Gay music hall icon Fred Barnes to be honoured with Maida Vale plaque
- 10 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
The bunnies are believed to be pet rabbits, as officers said they have a “sweet and easy-to-handle nature”, despite none of them being neutered.
They are now at home in large cages with plenty of food, water and space to hop about.
A member of staff, who clearly is a fan of the TV show The X Files, has named the rabbit father Mulder, while his four sons are named Dana, X-Files, Scully, and Fox.
Meanwhile, the rabbit mother has been dubbed Fifi Trixibelle – after Bob Geldof’s daughter – with the female baby christened Toni Collette, after the Oscar-winning actress of the same name.
The rabbits will be cared for by The Mayhew until they have been neutered and vaccinated.
They will then be taken to a rabbit shelter, where they will be rehomed.
Ms Edwards added: “This is another case of pets not being neutered. The rabbits had the five babies and their owner probably couldn’t cope.
“We offer low cost neutering for rabbits, as well as cats and dogs, so there is no excuse not to get pets neutered.”
Find out more about The Mayhew.