Woman targets Highgate residents with Hampstead run club charity scam
A charity scammer who claims to raise money for a Hampstead runner with cancer has targeted residents in Highgate.
The woman has convinced a “long list” of people in The Miltons to part with their cash, according to Highgate’s Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT).
The suspect tells residents that she is taking part in a fund-raising race for a seriously ill member of Hampstead Heath’s Park Run group, which organises free weekly 5km runs on the Heath.
She then asks to take residents’ donation on the doorstep and not after the charity event.
The volunteer-run Hampstead Heath Park Run club has confirmed the woman is not acting on behalf of the group.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Highgate’s SNT has asked residents to call 101 if they are approached by the woman.
- 1 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 4 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 5 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 6 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 7 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 8 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 9 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 10 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre