Woman of peace dies, days after her 100th birthday
A BELOVED great-grandmother from Hampstead Garden Suburb has died just days after celebrating her 100th birthday. Champaben Vadgama, who lived with her daughter in St Edward s Close, was photographed in the Ham&High on July 2 surrounded by various dignita
A BELOVED great-grandmother from Hampstead Garden Suburb has died just days after celebrating her 100th birthday.
Champaben Vadgama, who lived with her daughter in St Edward's Close, was photographed in the Ham&High on July 2 surrounded by various dignitaries to commemorate her becoming a centenarian.
But just one week later Ms Vadgama died, before many of her cards and presents had been opened.
Her devastated daughter Dr Kusoom Vadgama, 77, said: "She was an absolutely wonderful mother. Everyone's mother is wonderful but she was really special. She was so tolerant. I am gutted, totally devastated. She was quite ok and never had any crutches or walking sticks and still cooked for the family.
You may also want to watch:
"It is a consolation that she saw her 100th birthday, that is all I can say. But she had not even opened some of the gifts and cards. It was such an anti climax. One room in the house is full of birthday cards and another is full of sympathy cards."
Mrs Vadgama used to say the secret of her long life was yoga along with a special drink of hot water, honey ginger and lemon, which she took every morning.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 4 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 5 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 6 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 7 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 8 Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn relieved to see Mesut Ozil depart
- 9 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 10 Arsenal look to bounce back at home to West Ham
For more see this week's Ham&High/