Woman of peace dies, days after her 100th birthday
A BELOVED great-grandmother from Hampstead Garden Suburb has died just days after celebrating her 100th birthday. Champaben Vadgama, who lived with her daughter in St Edward s Close, was photographed in the Ham&High on July 2 surrounded by various dignita
A BELOVED great-grandmother from Hampstead Garden Suburb has died just days after celebrating her 100th birthday.
Champaben Vadgama, who lived with her daughter in St Edward's Close, was photographed in the Ham&High on July 2 surrounded by various dignitaries to commemorate her becoming a centenarian.
But just one week later Ms Vadgama died, before many of her cards and presents had been opened.
Her devastated daughter Dr Kusoom Vadgama, 77, said: "She was an absolutely wonderful mother. Everyone's mother is wonderful but she was really special. She was so tolerant. I am gutted, totally devastated. She was quite ok and never had any crutches or walking sticks and still cooked for the family.
You may also want to watch:
"It is a consolation that she saw her 100th birthday, that is all I can say. But she had not even opened some of the gifts and cards. It was such an anti climax. One room in the house is full of birthday cards and another is full of sympathy cards."
Mrs Vadgama used to say the secret of her long life was yoga along with a special drink of hot water, honey ginger and lemon, which she took every morning.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 4 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 5 Discovering 'rich' poetry of Hampstead Heath on guided tours
- 6 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 7 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 8 Motorcyclist in 'life-threatening' condition after collision with a car in Maida Vale
- 9 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 10 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
For more see this week's Ham&High/