Swimmer dies at Swiss Cottage Leisure Centre pool
- Credit: Archant
A lifeguard fought to save the life of a woman swimming at Swiss Cottage Leisure Centre after she disappeared under water this morning.
The woman, in her 60s, was swimming at the leisure centre’s pool in Adelaide Road when she went under about an hour ago.
A lifeguard immediately intervened and attempted to resuscitate the woman at the poolside.
An air ambulance landed at Swiss Cottage Open Space at 11am and paramedics ran into to the leisure centre and performed CPR on the woman for about 20 minutes as they attempted to save her life.
But sadly she was pronounced dead at the scene shortly afterwards.
A Camden Council spokesman said: “Sadly, we can confirm that earlier today a user of the swimming pool at Swiss Cottage Leisure Centre was taken ill and received first aid from the lifeguards on duty.
“The swimmer was spotted immediately and removed from the pool while first aid was administered.
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 3 Crouch End pub ransacked and charity money stolen
- 4 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 5 Olympic ace opens Highgate primary school's new running track
- 6 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 7 Highgate pub landlords to appeal restrictive licence approval
- 8 Cartoonist creates celebrity tube stops
- 9 Renaissance painting discovered in pensioner's bedroom sells for £255k
- 10 Monkeypox: 7 patients in Homerton and Royal Free hospitals
“Emergency services were called and we understand that an air ambulance has attended.
“Our thoughts are with the centre user and their family at this time.”