Woman dies in Hampstead blaze
- Credit: Archant
A woman has died in a blaze that tore through a block of flats in Hampstead in the early hours of this morning.
Eight fire engines and 60 fire fighters tackled the fire at a the four-storey building in Daleham Gardens just before 2am.
Around 20 people had fled from the flats before fire teams arrived.
A spokesman for London Fire Brigade (LFB) said: “Crews rescued a woman from the property but sadly she was pronounced dead at the scene”.
Representatives from Camden Council, which owns the building, were today at the scene and said officers have placed eight residents in temporary hotel accommodation.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “We will be cooperating with the London Fire Brigade going forward with their investigations.”
The blaze badly damaged the ground and first floors of the building, as well as destroying its roof and second and third floors.
- 1 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 2 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 3 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 4 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 5 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 6 'I want to make a difference': new leader for Haringey Council
- 7 Hundreds oppose Hampstead Heath dog walker licence scheme
- 8 Anorexia was nurtured and nourished by lockdown – and the media
- 9 Revealed: The five most polluted places in Camden
- 10 Crouch End join cricketing and cultural exchange programme
A neighbour, whose home backs onto the site of the blaze, said: “I woke at 2am and my bedroom was full of smoke. I panicked and jumped out of bed and ran around the house. I checked on the children upstairs and then ran down to the kitchen to try to find the blaze. The smoke was so thick I assumed it was in my house.
“Then when I looked out of the window I saw the house on fire. It is so sad that somebody has died.”
The fire, at the junction of Daleham Gardens with Wedderburn Road was under control by 4.52am but motorists are being advised to avoid the area while crews deal with the incident.
Cordons were still in place this morning.
Crews from West Hampstead, Kentish Town, Euston, Paddington and Holloway fire stations remain at the scene.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
A Camden Council spokesman said “We are deeply saddened to hear of this fatality.
“Council officers are on site and are offering assistanc. Eight residents have been placed in temporary hotel accommodation.
“Everybody else is spending time with family or friends.”
Police have yet to formally identify the deceased woman.