Woman, 83, dies in West Hampstead house fire
AN 83-year-old woman has died of severe burns after a fire at her West Hampstead flat. The blaze at Sidney Boyd Court in West End Lane broke out around noon on Friday. It took West Hampstead and Belsize firefighters an hour to bring the fire under control
AN 83-year-old woman has died of severe burns after a fire at her West Hampstead flat.
The blaze at Sidney Boyd Court in West End Lane broke out around noon on Friday.
It took West Hampstead and Belsize firefighters an hour to bring the fire under control.
The woman was rushed by air ambulance to Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford but she died later that day.
The fire was believed to have been caused by a cigarette, said a police source. It is the third fire caused by a cigarette in two weeks.
The first was in a council-run Gospel Oak care home. Camden Council has consequently banned smoking in its care homes while an investigation is carried out.
- 1 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 2 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 3 Two dead in Maida Vale: Woman stabbed and man 'struck by vehicle'
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Muswell Hill constituency changes consultation
- 5 Muswell Hill service ‘disgraceful’ as Royal Mail crisis continues
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of murder following Maida Vale deaths
- 7 'The joy of addiction is when you are free of it,' says Hampstead author
- 8 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 9 BAFTA-nominated BBC series returns to the Royal Free Hospital
- 10 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
Part of the ground floor flat in West Hampstead was damaged by the blaze. The incident is being treated as non-suspicious by police.