Woman, 83, dies in West Hampstead house fire
AN 83-year-old woman has died of severe burns after a fire at her West Hampstead flat. The blaze at Sidney Boyd Court in West End Lane broke out around noon on Friday. It took West Hampstead and Belsize firefighters an hour to bring the fire under control
AN 83-year-old woman has died of severe burns after a fire at her West Hampstead flat.
The blaze at Sidney Boyd Court in West End Lane broke out around noon on Friday.
It took West Hampstead and Belsize firefighters an hour to bring the fire under control.
The woman was rushed by air ambulance to Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford but she died later that day.
You may also want to watch:
The fire was believed to have been caused by a cigarette, said a police source. It is the third fire caused by a cigarette in two weeks.
The first was in a council-run Gospel Oak care home. Camden Council has consequently banned smoking in its care homes while an investigation is carried out.
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 4 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 6 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 7 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
- 8 Free festival to take over the streets of Camden
- 9 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 10 Hampstead's Burgh House Cafe wins readers' poll
Part of the ground floor flat in West Hampstead was damaged by the blaze. The incident is being treated as non-suspicious by police.