Woman, 83, dies in West Hampstead house fire
AN 83-year-old woman has died of severe burns after a fire at her West Hampstead flat. The blaze at Sidney Boyd Court in West End Lane broke out around noon on Friday. It took West Hampstead and Belsize firefighters an hour to bring the fire under control
AN 83-year-old woman has died of severe burns after a fire at her West Hampstead flat.
The blaze at Sidney Boyd Court in West End Lane broke out around noon on Friday.
It took West Hampstead and Belsize firefighters an hour to bring the fire under control.
The woman was rushed by air ambulance to Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford but she died later that day.
You may also want to watch:
The fire was believed to have been caused by a cigarette, said a police source. It is the third fire caused by a cigarette in two weeks.
The first was in a council-run Gospel Oak care home. Camden Council has consequently banned smoking in its care homes while an investigation is carried out.
- 1 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 2 Pubs and restaurants look forward to 'normality' of indoors on May 17
- 3 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 4 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 5 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 6 'Auto-destruction' in a train shed: how the Roundhouse made Camden cool
- 7 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 8 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 9 You have to laugh – mental health and the role of comedy in our lives
- 10 'I want to make a difference': new leader for Haringey Council
Part of the ground floor flat in West Hampstead was damaged by the blaze. The incident is being treated as non-suspicious by police.