Woman, 83, dies in West Hampstead house fire
AN 83-year-old woman has died of severe burns after a fire at her West Hampstead flat. The blaze at Sidney Boyd Court in West End Lane broke out around noon on Friday. It took West Hampstead and Belsize firefighters an hour to bring the fire under control
AN 83-year-old woman has died of severe burns after a fire at her West Hampstead flat.
The blaze at Sidney Boyd Court in West End Lane broke out around noon on Friday.
It took West Hampstead and Belsize firefighters an hour to bring the fire under control.
The woman was rushed by air ambulance to Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford but she died later that day.
You may also want to watch:
The fire was believed to have been caused by a cigarette, said a police source. It is the third fire caused by a cigarette in two weeks.
The first was in a council-run Gospel Oak care home. Camden Council has consequently banned smoking in its care homes while an investigation is carried out.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 6 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 7 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 8 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 9 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 10 Camden, Haringey and Barnet mark Holocaust Memorial Day
Part of the ground floor flat in West Hampstead was damaged by the blaze. The incident is being treated as non-suspicious by police.