Witanhurst plans thrown out by Camden Council planning bosses
PLANS to renovate a dilapidated Highgate mansion were thrown out by development control chiefs at Camden Council last night (December 3). The new owners of Grade II*-listed Witanhurst had hoped for permission to demolish the service wing and replace it wi
PLANS to renovate a dilapidated Highgate mansion were thrown out by development control chiefs at Camden Council last night (December 3).
The new owners of Grade II*-listed Witanhurst had hoped for permission to demolish the service wing and replace it with an "orangery" containing further bedrooms and living space, and also to build an underground entertainment centre with a cinema, and a host of entertainment features such as a games room, a spa and a hairdressers.
While all parties at the Town Hall welcomed the chance to refurbish the decaying manor house, which is currently on English Heritage's At Risk register, planning bosses ultimately voted against the application.
Liberal Democrat councillor Flick Rea said: "The service wing is a perfectly good building. It's part of the original design and removing it damages a listed building."
You may also want to watch:
Green Party councillor for Highgate Alex Goodman said: "There is no demonstrable need for two extra bedrooms. There's no reason why you can't convert your sauna and hairdresser into bedrooms."
Green Party councillor Maya de Souza said the amount of heavy duty traffic required to carry out the construction work to build the basement would make it unsafe for pedestrians in Highgate.
- 1 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 2 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 3 David Amess murder: Met searches London addresses
- 4 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
- 5 West Hampstead Women's Institute celebrates 10-year milestone
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 8 Gay music hall icon Fred Barnes to be honoured with Maida Vale plaque
- 9 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 10 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
Following the meeting a spokeswoman for Planning Potential said Witanhurst's owners, described as an eastern European family, would consider the reasons for the committee's decision before deciding on a course of action.