Wish us luck in our bid to restore Whitestone Pond
I am delighted that we have the full support of the Ham&High (Comment, January 25) which described the proposed Whitestone Pond facelift as one of the most satisfactory and enduring outlays imaginable . Working on this project I have been amazed by the
I am delighted that we have the full support of the Ham&High (Comment, January 25) which described the proposed Whitestone Pond facelift as one of the "most satisfactory and enduring outlays imaginable".
Working on this project I have been amazed by the strength of feeling and irritation aroused by the desperate state of the Pond and its environs. Ironically, I have also noticed how frequently, (understandably), the Ham&High features photos of this landmark location.
The Tour of Britain, a national cycling event which took place in September 2006, attracted huge crowds to the area and particularly to the pond. We can safely anticipate that when the Olympic cycle events pass through the Whitestone Pond area, it will not only be a major congregating area for spectators, but that the world's cameras will take advantage of its spectacular views of London.
Whilst we all agree with the Ham&High that it would be wonderful if this project could be completed well ahead of 2012, we are delighted that the Olympics are providing an impetus to ensure that the Whitstone Pond area is restored to its full splendour.
To this end, it is well understood that contributions will be sought from several relevant organisations, not just TfL. The Heath & Hampstead Society has already pledged £5,000 to replace the street name plates with the traditional tiled signs.
There is much work to be done - wish us luck!
- 1 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 2 Man files complaint following 'unlawful arrest' by police officers
- 3 Community joy as Murphy's Yard application withdrawn
- 4 Duke's Head noise complaints committee hearing
- 5 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 6 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 7 Golders Green school rated 'inadequate' for second time
- 8 'It's a lovely community': The Bull reopens under new management
- 9 Toff's of Muswell Hill celebrates Fish and Chips Day with 50 free glasses of fizz
- 10 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
Heath & Hampstead Society