Wingate unveil their new manager as Meakin arrives from Northwood
Wingate & Finchley have unveiled their new manager as Gary Meakin moves from nearby Southern League side Northwood to replace David Norman, who resigned last week.
The club’s chairman Aron Sharpe said: “I received many phone calls and emails regarding the job. However, there were only certain managers that I wanted to talk to and I was fortunate that I have had the opportunity to chat formally with four tremendously talented young managers.
“Dave Norman was always going to be a hard act to follow but I have the right man to replace him in Gary Meakin.
“As I have always said, the club is one that develops players and managers to fulfil their potential and play attractive football.
“I will always look for people who rely on their own ability to spot talent in youngsters and players who have not yet received the opportunity to play at Ryman Premier level.
“Gary promotes these elements of youth development and playing attractive football. I am also thankful for the manner in which the Northwood chairman has handled our discussions this week.”
Meakin was appointed Northwood manager in March 2011, moving from a similar role at Hillingdon Borough.
- 1 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 2 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 3 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 4 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 5 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 6 'The joy of addiction is when you are free of it,' says Hampstead author
- 7 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 8 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 9 Sexual offence reports at record levels in Camden, Haringey and Barnet
- 10 Fundraising year begins at William IV pub in Hampstead
He had taken over a struggling Hillingdon side late in the campaign and guided them to unlikely survival, before achieving an almost identical feat when he was snapped up by Northwood.
Last season Northwood only missed out on the play-offs on the final day of the season, and were finalists in the Middlesex County Cup.
Meakin had previously enjoyed a playing career that took him into the Conference - which included three spells with Northwood, and also playing for North Greenford United, Hendon, Doncaster Rovers, Telford United, Walton Casuals and Harrow Borough. He moved into coaching and management at an early age after retiring through injury.
Derek Lewis will join with him in a coaching capacity.