Wingate & Finchley strike it Rich with victory in Middlesex Charity Cup
Late strikes from Mark Henry and Scott Shulton gave Wingate & Finchley a deserved 2-0 win over Hampton & Richmond in the Help For Heroes Middlesex Charity Cup last night to set up a quarter-final tie with Bedfont & Feltham.
Ahmet Rifat, Mark Henry, Cain Davies, Alfie Bartram and Ryan Sellers all returned to the starting line-up and Wingate benefited, as Marc Weatherstone headed a Spencer McCall corner wide and Josh Kennett went close early on.
Ahmet Rifat was next to test Rodney Chiweshe in the Hampton goal, after beating a number of defenders with a jinking run, but he could not find a way past this visiting keeper.
Hampton threatened to punish Wingate’s failure to find the net, as Tom Hickey’s drive tested Cain Davies, before Dan Thompson forced a fine save from the goalkeeper.
Tommy Tejan-Sie saw his curling goal-bound effort saved after the break, but with 15 minutes remaining Rifat’s header was blocked on the line and fell kindly for Henry to tap in.
You may also want to watch:
Second-half substitute Shulton wrapped up the win five minutes later with a vicious volley from the edge of the area that nestled in the top corner.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 4 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 5 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 6 Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn relieved to see Mesut Ozil depart
- 7 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 8 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 9 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 10 Arsenal look to bounce back at home to West Ham