Wingate & Finchley strike it Rich with victory in Middlesex Charity Cup
Late strikes from Mark Henry and Scott Shulton gave Wingate & Finchley a deserved 2-0 win over Hampton & Richmond in the Help For Heroes Middlesex Charity Cup last night to set up a quarter-final tie with Bedfont & Feltham.
Ahmet Rifat, Mark Henry, Cain Davies, Alfie Bartram and Ryan Sellers all returned to the starting line-up and Wingate benefited, as Marc Weatherstone headed a Spencer McCall corner wide and Josh Kennett went close early on.
Ahmet Rifat was next to test Rodney Chiweshe in the Hampton goal, after beating a number of defenders with a jinking run, but he could not find a way past this visiting keeper.
Hampton threatened to punish Wingate’s failure to find the net, as Tom Hickey’s drive tested Cain Davies, before Dan Thompson forced a fine save from the goalkeeper.
Tommy Tejan-Sie saw his curling goal-bound effort saved after the break, but with 15 minutes remaining Rifat’s header was blocked on the line and fell kindly for Henry to tap in.
You may also want to watch:
Second-half substitute Shulton wrapped up the win five minutes later with a vicious volley from the edge of the area that nestled in the top corner.
- 1 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 7 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 8 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 9 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate