Wingate & Finchley strike it Rich with victory in Middlesex Charity Cup
Late strikes from Mark Henry and Scott Shulton gave Wingate & Finchley a deserved 2-0 win over Hampton & Richmond in the Help For Heroes Middlesex Charity Cup last night to set up a quarter-final tie with Bedfont & Feltham.
Ahmet Rifat, Mark Henry, Cain Davies, Alfie Bartram and Ryan Sellers all returned to the starting line-up and Wingate benefited, as Marc Weatherstone headed a Spencer McCall corner wide and Josh Kennett went close early on.
Ahmet Rifat was next to test Rodney Chiweshe in the Hampton goal, after beating a number of defenders with a jinking run, but he could not find a way past this visiting keeper.
Hampton threatened to punish Wingate’s failure to find the net, as Tom Hickey’s drive tested Cain Davies, before Dan Thompson forced a fine save from the goalkeeper.
Tommy Tejan-Sie saw his curling goal-bound effort saved after the break, but with 15 minutes remaining Rifat’s header was blocked on the line and fell kindly for Henry to tap in.
You may also want to watch:
Second-half substitute Shulton wrapped up the win five minutes later with a vicious volley from the edge of the area that nestled in the top corner.
- 1 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 2 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 7 'Forgotten Rivers' route proposed by The Ramblers
- 8 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
- 9 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 10 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans