Wingate & Finchley make perfect start to new campaign
Wingate & Finchley have begun the new season in the best possible fashion after winning their first two matches in the Ryman League Premier Division.
Billy Healey marked his competitive debut with a double as the Blues secured a 2-1 victory at home to Brentwood Town on the opening day.
Wingate followed that up with another 2-1 win on the road at Hampton & Richmond Borough on Tuesday night.
The north London side welcomed Division One play-off winners Brentwood to the Harry Abrahams Stadium on Saturday.
Healey, a summer signing from Hanwell Town, took just four minutes to get off the mark for his new side.
You may also want to watch:
An impressive free-flowing move was finished by Healey, after the striker nodded home from close range following good build-up play from Martell Powell and Karl Oliyide.
Wingate then doubled their advantage on 16 minutes, with Healey grabbing his second of the game with an accurate finish into the bottom left corner of the net.
- 1 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 4 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 5 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 6 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 7 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 8 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 9 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 10 Former pupils launch creative fund to honour inspirational teacher
Liam Hope pulled a goal back for the visitors before the interval, but Wingate ran out deserved winners in the end.
Oliyide and Ahmet Rifat were then on target as the Blues came from behind to secure victory over Hampton & Richmond at the Beveree Stadium on Tuesday.
Dean Sinclair’s 40th-minute goal had given the hosts a first-half lead, but Wingate recovered well after the break and came from behind to secure a second consecutive league win.
Wingate’s game at Farnborough has been postponed this weekend, with the Blues’ next encounter coming against Harlow Town in the Ryman League Cup on Tuesday (kick-off 7.45pm).