Wingate & Finchley maintain perfect start with League Cup triumph
Wingate & Finchley maintained their perfect start to the season, securing their third successive win in all competitions, as they advanced in the League Cup with a home win over Harlow Town on Tuesday.
Wingate skipper Marc Weatherstone scored the decisive goal in a 1-0 victory, nodding home on seven minutes after Joe Sharpe’s corner.
Harlow had goalkeeper Niklas Freund to thank as the hosts nearly extended their lead just three minutes later. Meshach Williams found Billy Healey with a through ball but his low shot was well held.
The visitors almost levelled the tie just before the break as Junior Dadson’s stinging shot was parried away smartly by Bobby Smith.
Tommy Tejan-Sie had a goal disallowed for offside in the second half, while Harlow midfielder Harry Prince went close to scoring an equaliser in the dying stages, with his low goal-bound effort being superbly beaten away by Smith.
You may also want to watch:
But Wingate held on to progress to the next round, and they will look to continue their impressive early-season league form when they host Kingstonian on Saturday (kick-off 3pm) before visiting Needham Market on Tuesday (7.45pm).
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 6 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 7 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate