Wingate & Finchley maintain perfect start with League Cup triumph
Wingate & Finchley maintained their perfect start to the season, securing their third successive win in all competitions, as they advanced in the League Cup with a home win over Harlow Town on Tuesday.
Wingate skipper Marc Weatherstone scored the decisive goal in a 1-0 victory, nodding home on seven minutes after Joe Sharpe’s corner.
Harlow had goalkeeper Niklas Freund to thank as the hosts nearly extended their lead just three minutes later. Meshach Williams found Billy Healey with a through ball but his low shot was well held.
The visitors almost levelled the tie just before the break as Junior Dadson’s stinging shot was parried away smartly by Bobby Smith.
Tommy Tejan-Sie had a goal disallowed for offside in the second half, while Harlow midfielder Harry Prince went close to scoring an equaliser in the dying stages, with his low goal-bound effort being superbly beaten away by Smith.
You may also want to watch:
But Wingate held on to progress to the next round, and they will look to continue their impressive early-season league form when they host Kingstonian on Saturday (kick-off 3pm) before visiting Needham Market on Tuesday (7.45pm).
- 1 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 7 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 8 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 9 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 10 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again