Wingate & Finchley maintain perfect start with League Cup triumph
Wingate & Finchley maintained their perfect start to the season, securing their third successive win in all competitions, as they advanced in the League Cup with a home win over Harlow Town on Tuesday.
Wingate skipper Marc Weatherstone scored the decisive goal in a 1-0 victory, nodding home on seven minutes after Joe Sharpe’s corner.
Harlow had goalkeeper Niklas Freund to thank as the hosts nearly extended their lead just three minutes later. Meshach Williams found Billy Healey with a through ball but his low shot was well held.
The visitors almost levelled the tie just before the break as Junior Dadson’s stinging shot was parried away smartly by Bobby Smith.
Tommy Tejan-Sie had a goal disallowed for offside in the second half, while Harlow midfielder Harry Prince went close to scoring an equaliser in the dying stages, with his low goal-bound effort being superbly beaten away by Smith.
You may also want to watch:
But Wingate held on to progress to the next round, and they will look to continue their impressive early-season league form when they host Kingstonian on Saturday (kick-off 3pm) before visiting Needham Market on Tuesday (7.45pm).
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 6 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 7 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United