Wingate & Finchley maintain perfect start with League Cup triumph
Wingate & Finchley maintained their perfect start to the season, securing their third successive win in all competitions, as they advanced in the League Cup with a home win over Harlow Town on Tuesday.
Wingate skipper Marc Weatherstone scored the decisive goal in a 1-0 victory, nodding home on seven minutes after Joe Sharpe’s corner.
Harlow had goalkeeper Niklas Freund to thank as the hosts nearly extended their lead just three minutes later. Meshach Williams found Billy Healey with a through ball but his low shot was well held.
The visitors almost levelled the tie just before the break as Junior Dadson’s stinging shot was parried away smartly by Bobby Smith.
Tommy Tejan-Sie had a goal disallowed for offside in the second half, while Harlow midfielder Harry Prince went close to scoring an equaliser in the dying stages, with his low goal-bound effort being superbly beaten away by Smith.
You may also want to watch:
But Wingate held on to progress to the next round, and they will look to continue their impressive early-season league form when they host Kingstonian on Saturday (kick-off 3pm) before visiting Needham Market on Tuesday (7.45pm).
- 1 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 3 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 4 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 5 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 6 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 7 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 8 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 9 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 10 Westminster Council shelves Paddington Rec cycling plans