Wingate & Finchley eye their highest ever finish ahead of final fixture at Billericay Town
Wingate & Finchley are going into Saturday’s final game aiming to secure their highest ever finish after winning their last home match of the season against basement boys VCD Athletic.
Billy Healey headed home shortly before half-time, scoring his 35th goal of the season, and Jake Hutchings then met Alfie Bartram’s free kick with a thumping header of his own in the final minutes.
The Blues finished 12th in the Ryman League Premier Division last season – their best ever placing. And, while they will end up with fewer points this campaign, they now sit 12th again, only one point behind both Metropolitan Police and Leatherhead as they prepare to end their season away at Billericay Town.
Wingate striker Rob Laney said: “We’ve got a little mini-league in the table – there are a couple of teams above us that we can finish above. Our aim is to finish in the top 10 so we’ll go to Billericay and try to get three points there.
“Billericay are an Essex team – horrible pitch, big players. The last time I came out of the tunnel at Billericay I heard their manager shout ‘headers and tackles’ so they’re going to be up for a big battle.”
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Hendon, who are now safe from relegation, also played their final home game of the season on Monday – against Billericay Town – and drew 1-1.
Chris Seeby scored a 45-yard equaliser, enjoying a dream return after being out of action due to injury for more than a year, while Dave Diedhiou made his 300th appearance for the Greens.
- 1 Rabindranath Tagore's Hampstead home on the market for £2.65m
- 2 Hampstead house ravaged by early morning blaze
- 3 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 4 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 5 Artist who captures North London's 'special light'
- 6 'It's madness': Queues block north London roads amid petrol shortage
- 7 Haverstock Hill petrol station 'assault' arrest as motorists queue for fuel
- 8 Man charged with Haringey murder and victim named
- 9 Pure Gym to open in Crouch End
- 10 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots