Wingate & Finchley eye their highest ever finish ahead of final fixture at Billericay Town
Wingate & Finchley are going into Saturday’s final game aiming to secure their highest ever finish after winning their last home match of the season against basement boys VCD Athletic.
Billy Healey headed home shortly before half-time, scoring his 35th goal of the season, and Jake Hutchings then met Alfie Bartram’s free kick with a thumping header of his own in the final minutes.
The Blues finished 12th in the Ryman League Premier Division last season – their best ever placing. And, while they will end up with fewer points this campaign, they now sit 12th again, only one point behind both Metropolitan Police and Leatherhead as they prepare to end their season away at Billericay Town.
Wingate striker Rob Laney said: “We’ve got a little mini-league in the table – there are a couple of teams above us that we can finish above. Our aim is to finish in the top 10 so we’ll go to Billericay and try to get three points there.
“Billericay are an Essex team – horrible pitch, big players. The last time I came out of the tunnel at Billericay I heard their manager shout ‘headers and tackles’ so they’re going to be up for a big battle.”
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Hendon, who are now safe from relegation, also played their final home game of the season on Monday – against Billericay Town – and drew 1-1.
Chris Seeby scored a 45-yard equaliser, enjoying a dream return after being out of action due to injury for more than a year, while Dave Diedhiou made his 300th appearance for the Greens.
- 1 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 2 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 3 British fencing great Richard Kruse announces retirement
- 4 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 5 House Tour Gayton Road: Split-level mid-century gem in Hampstead
- 6 In numbers: the Covid-19 vaccine roll-out in north London
- 7 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 8 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 9 Hundreds oppose Hampstead Heath dog walker licence scheme
- 10 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat