Why Kenny took such a close interest in Olympics football
Former Arsenal hero Kenny Sansom has been watching the Olympics with interest, due to a personal knowledge of the country. Last year he coached youngsters as part of a Chinese Football Idol-style TV show, watched by nearly 100 million fans. There has bee
Former Arsenal hero Kenny Sansom has been watching the Olympics with interest, due to a personal knowledge of the country. Last year he coached youngsters as part of a Chinese Football Idol-style TV show, watched by nearly 100 million fans.
"There has been a lot of criticism with Tibet and everything, and no country is perfect," he said. "But the people I met and worked with were polite, kind and generous people.
"I had a great time out there and three of the lads are now at English academies. Everton, Forest and, I think, Bolton took a lad each. It was very rewarding. I only met mainly nice people. Sport and politics maybe should be kept apart."
And does he have plans to coach in England? "No way," he replied. "I enjoy my media work on radio and TV, I do stuff at Arsenal which I like, and after a coaching spell at Watford ended badly, I have learned my lesson.
You may also want to watch:
"I spoke to Bryan Robson last week. I'm interested in writing a kind of coaching manual for would-be coaches to help them.
"People like Robbo and myself have great ideas and tons of experience. It only seems right that experience should be shared - it can surely only help the English game.
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 3 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 4 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 7 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 8 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 9 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 10 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach