Why are politicians silent on this extradition outrage?
I WRITE to thank your paper for its continuing support for computer hacker Gary McKinnon not to be extradited to the US to face trial for infiltrating military computer sites. I agree with the Comment column (H&H August 14) that it is astonishing that not
I WRITE to thank your paper for its continuing support for computer hacker Gary McKinnon not to be extradited to the US to face trial for infiltrating military computer sites. I agree with the Comment column (H&H August 14) that it is astonishing that not one MP, except for London MEP Claude Moraes, has supported Mr McKinnon's plea for a trial in this country.
Where are all the famous human rights lawyers who have made millions after the European Convention on Human Rights was incorporated into British law? Is none of them concerned about Mr McKinnon's human rights?
His case has received comparatively little coverage in the national press. Most reporting has been at the best neutral, and some journalists such as Amanda Platell are in favour of extradition and a long jail term.
Is it simply because he is a self confessed nerd and looks unfashionable? Is it because he doesn't possess the star quality of someone like Abu Hamza? Is it because, unfortunately for him, he doesn't come from an ethnic minority?
You may also want to watch:
I hope his appeal to the European Court succeeds. If it doesn't, all those powerful people who withheld their support should hang their heads in shame. Does their defence of human rights come second to their admiration for the American government?
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 3 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 4 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 5 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 6 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 7 Wine, cheese and caviar: New bar to open in South End Green
- 8 Top producer gives hit making masterclass
- 9 Prince William brings environmental Earthshot Prize ceremony to Ally Pally
- 10 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
Hillside Gardens, N6