WHO'S WHO: singer Sam Obernik
Singer Sam Obernik has lived in Belsize Park for seven years with her son and dog. Her new single Baditude is currently Radio 1 A-listed and is top of the club charts. How long have you lived in the area? I ve lived in Belsize Park for nearly seven ye
Singer Sam Obernik has lived in Belsize Park for seven years with her son and dog.
Her new single Baditude is currently Radio 1 A-listed and is top of the club charts.
How long have you lived in the area?
I've lived in Belsize Park for nearly seven years. I was in Hackney before. I moved because my son goes to UCS. It's great for the dog here, it's a really dog-friendly area.
You may also want to watch:
What is the best thing about Belsize Park?
The best thing is that I don't have to go very far to get things done. Life is so busy and it's great that I don't have to get in the car much. It's a nice community around here. I find it hard to drive myself away from the Heath. It's my sanctuary before I lock myself away in my studio. Every day I walk the dog there.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 3 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 4 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 5 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 6 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 7 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 8 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 9 'Football is everything': Camden United on tackling knife crime and supporting community
- 10 Good Karma: Charity shop opens in former Gap in Hampstead High Street
What is the worst thing?
The traffic. The weekend tourism gets on my nerves sometimes. There's not enough car spaces around here.
Which local shops and restaurants are your favourites?
My favourite shop is Pomona. I hardly ever go to a supermarket. They are really friendly, I know where the food comes from and they deliver. I like Weng Wah, XO is nice for a treat and Tapeo is a good tapas place, while there's a lovely Greek place called Halepi.
What is your favourite building?
I love the new Hampstead Theatre. It's got a nice aesthetic about it. It's quite graceful. There are some great art deco places in Hampstead.
What is the biggest eyesore in the area?
The Royal Free looks like a great NCP car park.
If you were mayor for the day, what would you do?
It's hard to choose between doing something constructive and doing something frivolous but I think I'd do something frivolous. I would take all the care off the road.
How did you decide you wanted to be a singer?
I didn't. It decided for me. From the age of dot it was there. When I was 15, I busked in Dublin and it never stopped. There was never a time I decided.
What are your future plans?
To keep doing it. That's what is keeping me going. If you give up for one minute, it gives up on you. It makes me happy and I love what I do.