WHO'S WHO: singer Sam Obernik
Singer Sam Obernik has lived in Belsize Park for seven years with her son and dog. Her new single Baditude is currently Radio 1 A-listed and is top of the club charts. How long have you lived in the area? I ve lived in Belsize Park for nearly seven ye
Singer Sam Obernik has lived in Belsize Park for seven years with her son and dog.
Her new single Baditude is currently Radio 1 A-listed and is top of the club charts.
How long have you lived in the area?
I've lived in Belsize Park for nearly seven years. I was in Hackney before. I moved because my son goes to UCS. It's great for the dog here, it's a really dog-friendly area.
What is the best thing about Belsize Park?
The best thing is that I don't have to go very far to get things done. Life is so busy and it's great that I don't have to get in the car much. It's a nice community around here. I find it hard to drive myself away from the Heath. It's my sanctuary before I lock myself away in my studio. Every day I walk the dog there.
- 1 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 2 Highgate School abuse: Staff had to 'shake themselves out of complacency'
- 3 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 4 Highgate School to overhaul safeguarding after sexual abuse review
- 5 Crouch End pub calls for dialogue over noise complaints
- 6 Man allegedly 'shouted racist abuse' in Waterlow Park
- 7 Man arrested after car overturns on Camden Road
- 8 Maida Vale victims named as alleged suspect released on bail
- 9 'Cover-up': Council withheld evidence from watchdog 'behind leader's back'
- 10 Crouch End Festival Chorus: 'An astonishing choral display'
What is the worst thing?
The traffic. The weekend tourism gets on my nerves sometimes. There's not enough car spaces around here.
Which local shops and restaurants are your favourites?
My favourite shop is Pomona. I hardly ever go to a supermarket. They are really friendly, I know where the food comes from and they deliver. I like Weng Wah, XO is nice for a treat and Tapeo is a good tapas place, while there's a lovely Greek place called Halepi.
What is your favourite building?
I love the new Hampstead Theatre. It's got a nice aesthetic about it. It's quite graceful. There are some great art deco places in Hampstead.
What is the biggest eyesore in the area?
The Royal Free looks like a great NCP car park.
If you were mayor for the day, what would you do?
It's hard to choose between doing something constructive and doing something frivolous but I think I'd do something frivolous. I would take all the care off the road.
How did you decide you wanted to be a singer?
I didn't. It decided for me. From the age of dot it was there. When I was 15, I busked in Dublin and it never stopped. There was never a time I decided.
What are your future plans?
To keep doing it. That's what is keeping me going. If you give up for one minute, it gives up on you. It makes me happy and I love what I do.