WHO'S WHO: Romantics Kimberley Walker and Ross Aitken
Kimberley Walker and hubby Ross Aitken are co-workers at possibly the most romantic pub in London. The couple delighted locals at The Victoria in Highgate by marrying just weeks after meeting when Ross landed a job there. What do you like most about H
Kimberley Walker and hubby Ross Aitken are co-workers at possibly the most romantic pub in London. The couple delighted locals at The Victoria in Highgate by marrying just weeks after meeting when Ross landed a job there.
What do you like most about Highgate?
Kimberley: It's beautiful and safe. (Ross: ...compared to Hackney!) I can walk down the street at night and feel OK. And the people are really nice. More polite and friendlier than in other areas.
Ross: It's quite an easygoing place. It's nothing like Wood Green, where I lived for 11 years.
You may also want to watch:
What's the worst thing about Highgate?
Kimberley: There could be a greater variety of shops.
- 1 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 7 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 8 Hampstead Literary Society launched - and looking for exciting writers
- 9 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 10 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
Ross: The local Wetherspoons at the Gate House. It doesn't fit with the atmosphere of the village. Highgate's been trying to keep out chains for years.
Ross: Practical shops. There should be a village shop where you can buy everything. Such as a laundry-basket. Where would I go for that now? It's full of little restaurants and pubs. I've never seen so many pubs in one little place.
What do you do in the area at weekends?
If you were mayor for a day, what would you do?
Ross: Shut down the tube.
Kimberley: Clean the tube and make sure the buses come on time. When it rains you have to wait an hour. And I'd pass a law that Ross had to make me breakfast every morning.
4x4 or public transport?
Kimberley: Public transport - if it was regular. If I lived in the country I'd love to have a 4x4 and go off-roading on my farm.
Football or cricket?
Both: Cricket! Kimberley: I like the sound of willow on wood - it makes me sleepy. Actually I prefer MotoGP as a sport.
Where was your last holiday?
Kimberley: The landlady at the Victoria bought us a night and dinner at The Zetters in central London - that's the only holiday we've had together so far. We haven't had a honeymoon yet.
If you had a million pounds to spend in a day, what would you do?
Kimberley: I'd invest in a pub-restaurant in the country.
What is your favourite local shop?
Kimberley: I like the Oxfam bookshop.
What is your favourite restaurant?
Ross: Banners in Crouch End.
What tips would you give to people moving to the area?
Ross: Come to The Victoria! Highgate's most romantic pub.
What book are you reading at the moment?
Kimberley: I've just finished 'The Lies of Locke Lamora' by Scott Lynch. I'm about to start The God Delusion.
What would your epitaph be?
''Ross and Kimberley, who worked bloody hard together.''