ITV film depicts first Covid wave at Whittington's intensive care unit
- Credit: Whittington Health NHS Trust
A professor will share his experience of working as a consultant on Whittington Hospital's intensive care unit (ICU) throughout the coronavirus pandemic in a TV show that premieres tomorrow night (March 16).
The feature-length documentary starring Professor Hugh Montgomery, 2020: The Story of Us, uncovers what happened during the first wave of Covid-19 in the UK.
It shows the pressure NHS staff were under while they struggled to understand and fight a new disease and keep patients alive.
Much of the footage in the film by Oscar-winning director Kevin Macdonald was captured by staff themselves on their mobile phones in real time - adding a unique dimension.
The 90-minute film also follows the stories of some patients, including author Michael Rosen, who have been left with the long-term consequences of the virus.
You may also want to watch:
It was commissioned in early 2019, before the pandemic broke out, to mark The Intensive Care Society's 50th anniversary in June 2020.
It airs at 9pm tomorrow night on ITV.
- 1 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 2 'Survived the storm': West Hampstead's The Alliance Pub wins reader's poll
- 3 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 4 Discover Crouch End's very own cathedral
- 5 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 6 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 7 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 8 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 9 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 10 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK