Whittington Hospital boss on payroll of MEP wife denies ‘cover up’ over undisclosed work
The chairman of the trust in charge of the Whittington Hospital has denied covering up a potential conflict of interest after it emerged he had not fully declared being on the payroll of his MEP wife.
Steve Hitchins, who joined Whittington Health in December, confirmed he worked for his wife, London MEP Baroness Sarah Ludford – despite the role not appearing on the trust’s formal Register of Interests.
Baroness Ludford is an active promoter of legislation currently being negotiated in the EU that campaigners claim will “carve up” the NHS to private companies.
It has led to accusations that Mr Hitchins was attempting to “cover up” the link – thus preventing the spread of longstanding accusations made by Whittington campaigners that he has a hidden agenda to open up the hospital to privatisation.
Mr Hitchins denied the accusation, saying: “I’ve always been completely open and transparent with the trust about the work I do with my wife.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve worked for my wife for the past eight years and it’s listed in the public domain on her website.”
For the full story, see the next edition of the Ham&High newspaper (out tomorrow).
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 3 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 4 'He was mesmerising': Barney Hoskyns on Prince, five years on
- 5 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 6 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 7 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 8 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 9 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 10 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late