Whittington Hospital boss on payroll of MEP wife denies ‘cover up’ over undisclosed work
The chairman of the trust in charge of the Whittington Hospital has denied covering up a potential conflict of interest after it emerged he had not fully declared being on the payroll of his MEP wife.
Steve Hitchins, who joined Whittington Health in December, confirmed he worked for his wife, London MEP Baroness Sarah Ludford – despite the role not appearing on the trust’s formal Register of Interests.
Baroness Ludford is an active promoter of legislation currently being negotiated in the EU that campaigners claim will “carve up” the NHS to private companies.
It has led to accusations that Mr Hitchins was attempting to “cover up” the link – thus preventing the spread of longstanding accusations made by Whittington campaigners that he has a hidden agenda to open up the hospital to privatisation.
Mr Hitchins denied the accusation, saying: “I’ve always been completely open and transparent with the trust about the work I do with my wife.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve worked for my wife for the past eight years and it’s listed in the public domain on her website.”
For the full story, see the next edition of the Ham&High newspaper (out tomorrow).
- 1 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 2 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 3 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
- 6 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 7 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 8 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 9 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 10 Gravestone is a reminder that slavery left its mark in north London