When I’m 65...Abbey Road Studio’s oldest worker celebrates birthday
Paul McCartney says a special ‘hello’ to the catering manager every time he visits the iconic studio
Contrary to the popular Beatles song When I’m Sixty-Four, Abbey Road Studio’s oldest employee was given a surprise party to celebrate her 65th birthday last week.
Catering manager Doreen Dunkley has worked at the iconic studios for 22 years during which time she has met hundreds of famous musicians including members of the Beatles, Diana Ross and Take That.
Ms Dunkley said: “I love working at Abbey Road and have made some really great friends here over the years so I won’t be retiring for a while yet.
“The most exciting part of my job is definitely getting to meet lots of famous and interesting people. I came into work last week and was greeted by Gary Barlow and Mark Owen from Take That.
You may also want to watch:
“My favourite is Paul McCartney, though – he is such a gentleman and whenever he’s in he comes over, gives me a big hug and says ‘Hello Dor’.”
She was presented with a cake in the shape of a kettle, a bunch of flowers and tickets to see her idol Rod Stewart in concert.
- 1 Pubs and restaurants look forward to 'normality' of indoors on May 17
- 2 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 3 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 4 'Auto-destruction' in a train shed: how the Roundhouse made Camden cool
- 5 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 6 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 7 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 8 'I want to make a difference': new leader for Haringey Council
- 9 You have to laugh – mental health and the role of comedy in our lives
- 10 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
Mark Philpott, managing director of London caterers Vacherin, said: “Doreen is a wonderful lady and she is extremely popular with all the staff and visitors at Abbey Road – we are lucky to have her.”